Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 927 "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bernhard Schmidt
posted
I have recived information that the Hamilton 927 should be quite rare. How many of these were ever made. What other information can I get about this item.

Bernhard "the swede"

Posts: 423 | Location: Västerås in Swedem | Registered: January 02, 2004
posted
Sorry, not "low" production...... 45,781 by my reference......

posted
my knowledge is very low but isn´t 45 000 items quite low compared to other similar grades or is it a normal production?

Bernhard "the swede"

posted
It sorta is like what u are comparing the production numbers to.......

In relation to a 992b, 500,000+ production, then yes it is low production......

but compared to other 18s movements, it seems about 'average'.......

for example....

Grade 940 205,815
924 138,306
925 72,020
926 80,815
936 18,336
937 4,930
941 25,411
942 5418
943 2399

In General, 18 size movements were a 'small' part of Hamilton production when compared to total production.......

There are many other 18s Grades with production numbers lower than the 927......

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Ahhh yes...

If you want a truly low (how low can you go?) production 18-size Hamilton Hunter-Cased movement check the 23-Jewel Grade 947 at 308 total production! That's right, three hundred eight.

Eek Big Grin Roll Eyes

Still a BEAUTIFUL WATCH you have Bernhard. The rarest thing about it may be the dial, what does it say on it?

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Tha dial says:

Field & Fritch
Valley City, N.D.

....se picture

Is that a jewelers, manufacturars name or what? Where is that lacated?

Bernhard "the swede"

tavla

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Field & Fritch in Valley City, North Dakota

That's in one of the Northern-Most areas of the US about half way across the country. Take a look at this link...

http://www.google.com/search?q=Valley+City,+North+Dakota&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Looks like a small town and it's apparently a Ski Resort Area. From the link above you might eventually find the way to information about the retail jeweler who originally sold your watch. That could prove very interesting!

Let us know what you find.

One other thing, looks to me like the minute hand with the square center may have been intended for a key-wind key-set movement. Interesting.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of David Johnson
posted
Terry,

Do you have the production numbers for the open faced version of the 947, i.e. the Grade 946? I know they were much higher than the 947 but I don't know the exact numbers and am curious.

Thanks!

Posts: 606 | Location: Dade City, Florida USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
Picture of David Johnson
posted
Bernhard,

What are the markings on the case for your 927? I just bought a Hampden Special Railway in a VERY similar case. It is almost indentical. It is a "Crescent" watch case marked "warranted 25 years" which would make me think it is gold filled but it has a look to it very similar to polished brass. It also has a hallmark of a flag with a star in the middle. Anyone know the composition???

Picture of David Johnson
posted
Terry,

Looks like I found it myself. I have a total production on the 946 of 10,692 pieces. Is this correct?

posted
...the case says exactly like this:

Dueber Special case, Gold or not?

...the topic from mr Chris Abell, but mine has the sn 4666313
Thanks

Bernhard "the swede"

posted
Lindell,

What is the difference between differnt type of movements hands. How can I separate them from each other?

Swede, is that a vegetable....aswell?

Bernhard "the swede"

posted
David,
The 946 production info is correct as per my reference.....

case.... Image of marking? Possible wear and polished?

Hands......
If you look at the where the center post extends into the minute hand, note the "square" shape of the opening........
this is what indicates the hand would be for a keywind....as the post on the keywind/keyset movement is 'square' to allow the watch to be set....

it just so happens on this example the size of inscribed circle of the square fits the round arbor of the watch........

It works this way sometimes... but You "cannot fit a square peg into a round hole" unless the hole is big enough Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin