• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help with a Hamilton RR model "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Here is a Hamilton #308,698. This number is not listed in Ehrhardt's serial numbers list.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
The movement does resemble the grade 970 which is illustrated in the book. Is this a 970? The regulator spring is missing, and do you think the wheel has been replaced on the mainspring barrel?

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
Excuse me. I found the complete chart. This is a 990. How do you think this compares to a 992?

posted
Steve,
this is a grade 990... Smile

Posts: 185 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2008
posted
I think only 10,200 made in grade 990..

Posts: 185 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2008
posted
Gee, that's the fastest response I've ever gotten! You guys sure are fast on the draw! Thanks!

posted
This was my father-in-law's watch. He was wearing it when he died. It is important to me for more than one reason. Thanks, Andrea.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Your watch is listed in the price guide as a 990. You can see the similarity to the Brand New one Lindell posted last year after he went back in his time machine to get it. Also the click wheel had been replaced on the one you picture.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Your father had very good taste. Carry this and you will stay "in tune and on time" too!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I wondered about that. What are my chances of getting the correct one?

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I think I have a regulator spring that fits that. As for the click wheel, as it is also in a major repair job case, if it was me and it was my Dad's watch I would leave it "as-is" as I am sure there is a reason behind all of it's "idiosyncrasies".
Cool

posted
Yes, I think you are right, David. I would appreciate it if you could check on that spring for me. Let me know what you find. Thanks once again!

Steve

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
David

Do you know if it is possible that the wheel was put on upside down, I have never tried that but I wonder if someone could have done that.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Steve,

Your father-in-law had excellent taste, evidently his daughter followed suit. Smile

But seriously, my understanding is the Hamilton 990 was considered to be a somewhat higher grade than the 992 and today is far more highly prized by collectors.

The finish on that plain wheel is what we normally associate with lesser grades such as a 974 and we find this style were and are sold as replacements. It may be possible to find something closer on a parts movement or someone may have one loose. Tom's speculation is interesting and yes I have seen that done but this particular one is simply mismatched.

Good news, the whip-spring and screw will be fairly easy to find.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Lindell

Thanks for letting me know about the wheel, I had never thought about that until I saw the watch in this post & I just wondered if that was possible.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Well, thanks so much, everyone, for your observations. I didn't realize that this was a higher (even slightly) grade watch than the 992. I might start to carry it on occasion.

Steve

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
IN my highly prejudiced opinion I think the 992 was a "cost-cutter" version of the 990

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Steve, I checked and I have some of those. It looks like the original spring attachment screw was broken off, maybe by the same BOZO who messed up the jewel screws. I will send you a new whip, but I recommend that you have someone knock out the broken screw and then clean and regulate this beauty. I will send the whip wherever you plan to do that.

posted
Thanks a lot, David. Please let me know what I owe you.

IHC Member 1124
posted
Nice one, Steve. Cherish and protect it.

Here's my 990, it's a bit later than yours. I love this craftsmanship!

©harles

Posts: 134 | Location: South New Jersey in the USA | Registered: April 11, 2008
posted
Beautiful watch! Thanks. I wonder if they started making this grade before they made the 992.

Steve

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Steve, By the looks of it, I think the 990 came first or was (at least) a "premium" 992 type movement!

For the parts (I added an assembly screw that fit a 990 here tho it is not the "rounded head" kind), please e-mail me your address etc to david@glopar.com and then after you get the parts just donate whatever you think it is worth to the IHC185 legal recovery fund. (It's a little dusty, but it will shine up fine)