Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rule #1 (or 2?) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sometimes we send out a nice all cleaned up fixed and timed watch only to get the little beauty back with a note telling us it "STOPS", so we go to the bench, set down and look at it . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Then we look a little closer and AHA! . . . the Hour hand shifted ever so little and can YOU see what that did?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
After some "precision tweezing" all the hands clear each other fine. Will they stay that way? Probably for awhile . . . Rule #1 when your watch stops (and is is wound), L@@K for any interference between hands, this CAN be seconds hand to Hour Hand or Minute Hand to Hour hand. If you see that and it is the seconds hand take a flat toothpick and lever the hour hand up slightly. If it is the minute hand, put the watch in "set" and back off the minute hand from the hour hand . . . THEN do the toothpick to the minute hand so it is just slightly higher and clears the hour hand.

When you are done, everything will be "Hunky Dory" again and you do not have to scare the heck out of your watch fixin friend with a return that "stops running".

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
When I get one back that has hands that need adjusted I'm relieved. I like it when the balance staff is broke and they say I did not drop the watch. When clearly the watch was running excellent when you handed it to them. I would rather Count my blessings.
Dave did you get the Getty.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
posted
I had one sent back last week, but for another reason. It was a pendant set and the gentleman was unable to get it to go into the hand setting position. I had adjusted the watch stem for this before selling it, so I couldn't figure out why is wasn't setting quite right unless I had not gotten it adjusted correctly. I received the watch saturday and went on to taking it apart to find the problem. The set lever spring had actually broken! This would be a first for me on a watch that actually came back that was nobody's fault. To say the least I replaced it and sent it back to the customer who is happy with the purchase, just wanted to be able to set the time. I think all in all, we both will end up happy in the end as it brought a good price, the customer is happy witht he watch, and it was an easy fix. Smile

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009