posted
Really interesting movement...

Open Face movement in a triple hinge Silver case

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011

posted
2 - Love the Balance wheel -

posted
what is amazing is this was done so many years ago by hand and the man doing it was thrilled to have the job.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009

posted
Glad someone likes it besides me

Smile

Probably not as exciting as one of those 300 per week listings of either a 992 or bunn on ebay Smile

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
WOW look at the hand work, balance wheel,mainspring cover
I have one 7 jewel watch and I will try to make it as sceleton watch wish me luck and copy yours Jon a bit.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1555
posted
Great looking watch Jon, I like this type very much, I had a Fleury pocket watch (not a Fleurier)a couple of years back that was very similar, the brother loved it more than I did so I end up giving it to him.

Best Regards,
Bila

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
Jon, I use a line in my ads... when a watch is art - this movement is amazing, I love them, it is a watch but it really is a sculpture and you do not see these in "salesman" cases so it is really only meant for the owner to see. They fascinate me.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Andy is right its an art and sculpture.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011

posted
There is life here Smile

Andy - you hit it spot on - a work of art... Can you image someone today with the tools they used back then to create something this beautiful...

posted
Stunning!

Posts: 206 | Location: West Virginia in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2012
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Chinese market duplexes are a thing of beauty and many are in the same style of decoration as this lovely model Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1851
posted
Even with a skilled worker this must have taken long time to complete. Very nice

Posts: 207 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado in the USA | Registered: April 23, 2013
posted
Hi Jon

A very nice watch showing one facet of the history of pocket watches and a collectible for those who love old pocket watches as windows to past times (not so much for the investors)

The watch is swiss(or france) made ca.1870, the name T. F. Cooper (a reputated british watchmaker) was missused to simulate a british origin (same thing as with 'Tobias' watches)

The scrimsaw and engraving had the same intention as the damascening on american watches - a visual upgrade. For earlier and more simple examples it is said the decoration took one day's work.

The decoration looks like flames and shows that the watch was intented to the oriental (chinese) buyer but it is not a 'chinese duplex' watch, it has a club tooth escapement wheel and a counter-poised right angle lever. The jewel count is up to 15 (if the dial side was jeweled the same way).

Thanks for showing and please add a picture of the dial side and the caseback.

regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
One of the things that fascinates me is the fact that watches were made with amazing complications 100-200 years before a car was made. The science and beauty of 1700 - 1800 verge fusees is amazing.

posted
Gerald,

Thanks for the information... Agree totally the movement is not a chinese duplex. Here is a quick pic of the dial.

The balance wheel has a bit of play and probably a pivot bent/broken. The last staff, I had specially made ran close to 100$ mostly in labor to create it on the lathe. Therefore, wondering if this one is worth saving. Any input from the board is welcome?

Thanks

Jon