Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Cameras for close-ups "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Many topics have been posted about cameras and what they can do for us. I can assure you that I am not alone in the growing search for a suitable answer. The two cameras pictured below are my present choices.

"STILL" VIDEO CAMERA
The three top views show my "serious" (auction pics and the like) camera setup at the shop. This is a Sony DCR SR62 VIDEO camera I got from one of the Brooklyn based Camera places for about $350.00. Its virtues are;
1. "Macro-Zoom" that allows you to stand off the subject about 3 feet when taking the micro movement detail shots. (Btw Macro-Zoom feature is exclusive to Video Cameras.)
2. Hand-Held Remote Control for all functions including shutter.
3. Quality Low density images that are very easy to trim, edit, and upload.
4. AC/DC power supply that prevents battery wastage when in long shooting sessions.
5. 30 Gb Hard Disk Memory. That translates to about 1000000 "still" pictures.

"STILL" CAMERA
The bottom pictures my Canon "Power Shot A610" camera that I use at home and "on the road" for pictures. The virtues of this are;
1. It uses AA Batteries, and runs on them for a Long Long time. No recharging problems.
2. Excellent "Macro" depth of field.
3. Large Memory capable, and Memory stick compatible
4. Viewfinder for general purpose "fast" photography
5. Very Inexpensive and easy to hold.

Note; The same programs download stills from either camera making life much easier when "mixed" pictures are necessary.

EDITING AND PROCESSING
I use the FREE Picasa 3 Download as it will restore and edit just about anything I have thrown at it. It is super-easy to use, navigate, and learn from about taking better pictures. (As in the case of this post.)

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Great post David, just in time for me.
I have a Canon A520, great camera. It has bounced around in many pockets, hunting vest, fishing vest and still functions perfectly. But it does not have the macro I need for pockets.
I have been mulling over the options for another, but have not made up my mind. I would like the same type camera with a better macro and a price tag of no more than $250.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
David
While my camera body is more expensive I think a single lens reflex with a real Macro lens is the best if you are looking for a high quality image.

Bob

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
David, I agree with you a 100% on the Canon cameras. I have two and they are capable of doing everything I need. My oldest is a Canon A-70 with 3.2 mega pixels and a A-630, 8.0 mega-pixels. It looks like a newer version of yours, and I like the adjustable view finder. Both have macro and with a tripod they do an excellent job.
I've needed a light box and now I see yours to give me an idea of what I need. Thanks.
I use a IMAC computer and we have our own Iphoto app. that works just great for me. So, I haven't used anything else. You've been displaying some great shots of watches. Keep it up.
Bill

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Bill, I am also a two Canon owner and a Mac guy since 1987! My bang around, fit-in-the-pocket Canon is an A95 PowerShot, and my larger stay-at-home Canon is the PowerShot S5IS. This last model was under $300., and it will focus on a fly sitting on the lens Smile Both do a great job with macro when in super-macro mode. My last Mac was a G4 tower and my current Mac is a great little Mini.

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Bruce, I also like my Powershots for the 4 - AA rechargeable batteries. They go a long time in between charges.
I just upgraded to the newest 20" iMac. Its very fast, especially in the photo dept which I use a lot. I need to get the iLife 09 now. Big Grin
Bill

Bill Carlson

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Nice comments, and Bob you bring to mind the camera I carried for 30 years (1956-86), a Pre-War Exacta with all the accoutrements including extension tubes. I bought it from a Grad student in 1956 for $40.00, and added a Schneider 135MM Lense in 1959.

It still works fine today, after surviving the Jungles of Asia, the snows of the Arctic and harshness of the Northwest Territories, not to mention probably every state in the union including Hawaii.

That Camera taught me so many things about photography because it is a single-lense reflex. With the extension tubes and the 50mm Zeiss Jena Lense, I can ask an ant to smile, and catch it in the act.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
David, Love your story about the Exacta and accessories. I have a Om-1 and a Om2-s Olympus with all of the attachments that I can't stand to part with. Even a roll of film also.
I wouldn't be without the digital camera now, tho. There is nothing like looking at your photo right away and being able to fix it if needed.
In a few more years the younger generation will look at a 35mm SLR and wonder what it is. Maybe it they will be collector items like a wind up watch is now. I hope so, as I will still have mine.
Bill

Bill Carlson

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
They have a lot in common . . . beginning with NO BATTERIES!

posted
For the last few years I've been using a pair of 4MP Pentax Optio 430RS's.
Brilliant little camera's both bought as a non running job lot off eBay for £30, then spent £60 each on an overhaul with a Pentax agent.

1st one quit last year with an image count of around 6000, and my last one is still going strong with nearly 6k image count too.
I needed a better macro though, so have just bought an 8MP Cannon SX100 IS with 10x zoom.

Incredible photo's and macro's, only let down on watches now because of my lack of familiarity with it - and a light box, so it was great to see what you used David!
What sort of lamps do you use and the wattage of bulbs?

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
I received a new A590 Canon with Macro for Christmas. then I added special Macro lens I purchased on Ebay for $25.00. The kit includes a +1, +2, +4 and a +10 power lenses. These can be used alone or stacked.

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is a picture of the tube and a couple of the lenses. The ring around the lens on the camera unscrews and the tube mounts in its place. Then you screw the macro lens of your choice into the end of the tube.

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
posted
I would just like to add my 2 cents worth about cameras. My main purpose is an easy to use camera that takes reasonably detailed close ups that load fast on eBay. I use a Sony Mavica MVC FD73 camera that has been the standard for the Jewelry industry. It has a special eMail JPG setting that takes a reasonably detailed picture that loads fast. It uses the old floppy discs,rechargable battery, has a 10x optical zoom and you can take pictures of the moutains and go down to about 1/2 inch of a watch without changing anything. Look at the sample picture. Hand held watch by nothern window light camera held in the other hand.

Posts: 198 | Location: Vermilion, Ohio in the USA | Registered: May 14, 2003
Picture of Desmond Lundy
posted
I have a D50 Nikon SLR with a 105mm 1:2.8 Nikkor macro. About six months ago I fell into a 200mm 1:4.5 macro. My previous camera was a Nikon Coolpix 990 which I plain wore out over the course of six or seven years.

Posts: 785 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: February 25, 2003
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Keith i also like the sony camera i have a mvc-fd95 i bought new in 1999 they were high then 1100.00 is what i paid with a few extars i bought with the camera..mine has 20x percision digital zome i can take pictures of the dust on a hairspring that is clear as a bell..One thing i really like is the steady shot feature on the sony,s i take most of my pictures while holding the camera without a tripod. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
David,
Wow! What a fantastic setup!

I'm green with envy, but you did help me to finally make a decision about getting a new camera.
I've been thinking about it for some time now, and besides, with a second camera, with all the new bells and whistles I will be able to do what I often see here.

You guys take awesome photos here, and I sure would like to be able to do the same.

Now all I need is a right click mouse!!!!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sheila, I got that mini theater in 2007 with the two lights for about $40.00 through Amazon.com somewhere! Confused
I also have a "flood" light on top, one of those things you can buy at Home Depot that has a big bell shaped reflector and "clips" to things

posted
Thank you David

I had looked into the tents and other accessories a while back, but after getting my camera, all of the other items took me too over the top to consider them at the time.

One thing I have noticed is, the PRICES have gone DOWN a lot since then.

I think it may be time for an ENTIRE SETUP.

I guess trying to take photos, by cramming my watches on white paper, between my keyboard and a ton of junk on my desk, isn't going to cut it anymore huh? hehehehe

Oh to have a great setup like this one!!!!

My hat is off to you! Well done!

PS I also forgot to mention, that I have video on my camera and never used it, maybe it's time to learn how huh? !!!

Sheila

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sheila, at the house I hang up one of my 100 for $5.00 Costco Polishing rags from my work light stand and "shoot" with plain light. After a "light Picasa massage" (pun intended) it gives a very nice "setting" . . .

As for the light tent With Lights and Carry Case included! the best price I found ($49.99) is at;
http://www.tigerdirect.com/app...CWw0fzTCjCVqHCjCdwwp

IHC Life Member
Picture of John "cranster" McElhenny
posted
I use a Sony Mavica FD-200 and Natural Sunlight when I can. Nothing better than a piece of plain white paper and large window with a bright sun!
The Sony has a great macro like the older FD's (the 73 a personal favorite) but lets me use a much larger capacity memory card. I take all my pictures at 1600x1200 (approx 800k) then manually crop out excess white borders. Then a nifty little program called Fast Stone Photo Resizer lets me take them all down to 800x600 (approx 30k) perfect for the internet!

Samuel

Posts: 349 | Location: Western New York in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 22, 2002
posted
Wow, we just got a Costco's here, so I will have to check them out. What a deal, and I always need a ton of them. The lighting is a great idea too, and home depot is close. I could use a couple of those. I'm tired of going to our shed without any lights. I never even thought of the clip on type! So it's one for the shed, and one for photos.

"cranster" hehehe
I remember back a while ago that everyone loved the Mavica, and I was just about to get one, when I found my Kodak DX4530. It came with a high end printer dock, with all the extras for less than the Mavica alone, so I couldn't pass it up.
I remember everyone that used it, loved it.

and of course, I have NEVER even used the printer for the pictures..............

SO.............

Now that I'm starting over, I have to begin at the beginning again!!!! That's not easy for a camera id*ot either!

I just want to take close ups without the headaches of knowing what I'm doing.....

hehehehe not too demanding am I?

Sheila

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Sheila,

Revisit this post. It may refresh your memory. There was a lot of good information here. You probably forgot about it.

Steve

Close ups.

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
posted
Steve,
Actually, I did remember it, (some) but forgot to look it up. That's why I came into this topic. I had decided to get myself a camera after Christmas, because prices would be better, and I wanted to brush up on the information when I saw David's setup.

Those are some great pieces of information you guys posted in the other topic, and it reminded me of some of the mistakes I had been making too.

I guess I have been so busy with Russell, I had put off getting a camera for way too long, and forgot half of what was here already.

This time I wrote it all down to take with me.

This is one thing I DON'T like to do. I know nothing about camera's.

I may even give up, and buy one of those microscope type camera's.

But then I wouldn't know how to use that either, so, you see........... no win.

I'm just going to wait on one of those "lightening bolt ideas" to hit me, and tell me that I just HAVE to have that camera!

Ok, sometimes it works!

honest!

well maybe....

hehehehe

Sheila

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Sheila, Where else are we going to get all the free advice like we have just gotten from this topic. You can't beat it. There are lots of cameras and things to go with for all sorts of photo taking. I was looking at Amazon.com for light tents and there are lots listed there also.
Also as Steve said, check the other thread on photos also.
Now, it just takes time to experiment. Have fun. Smile

Bill Carlson

posted
Bill,
Your so right, none better than here.

I just can't seem to get all the F ??? stops, and other tech. stuff sorted out. I just want one that says, close-ups!

I have to agree, I have learned that you just have to practice and practice and practice.

Nothing else will work, no matter how much I try to avoid it!

I'll give in, but I can't promise I will like it.

AND I can't ignore the constant nudge to get started forever either.

Sheila