• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bunn Sangamo Boxes "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Having seen much discussion on Hamilton boxes, would anyone beable to fill me in on Bunn/Sangamo metal ciggarett boxes.. When were they used and what models..

Thanks for any help here..

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
can get more tonite, but according to the megger's book... 1926 to ~1929... will further check text tonite..

They are marked Bunn Special and Sangamo Special, so i would relate them with those grades... before the Hamilton take over...

What is mainly MISSING is the OUTER box.... and the cardboard liner...

And there were Ball Versions... Big Grin

HARVEY...... please..... Wink

posted
addenum....

Meggers states 1925 to early 1929 in his book.

This thread on page two shows a couple of introductory ads... for Sangamo Special ...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...912/m/6021039451/p/2

posted
Thanks Terry.........

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Terry -

Harvey please what? Okay, Okay -

I have 2 Ball aluminum watch boxes (and 2 Illinois Balls to go in them Big Grin ). My theory is that Illinois sold the 16s 23J watches to Ball in these boxes, and that most of them got donated to the war effort and melted to make aluminum aircraft. Hence, they're somewhat rare.

They are also somewhat different than the Bunn/Sangamo boxes - they don't have the rectangular indentations on the sides, and they're marked Ball on the tops.

Was that what you had in mind, Terry?

Posts: 72 | Location: Mechanicsburg, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: July 18, 2004
posted
that is a start... Big Grin

don't you have an outer box for an illinois u wanna share an image of?

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Harvey,

Don't the Ball-Illinois boxes also have "Park Sherman" as the manufacturer's name on the underside? The Illinois Bunn Special / Sangamo Special boxes I'm familiar with are not marked with manufacturer's name and have a match striker on the bottom.

Speaking of rarity, only some 3,500 Ball-Illinois watches were produced.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
in addition...

is there something that absolutely ties these Ball Aluminum boxes with only the Illinois movements?

posted
Sorry it's taken me so long to respond - I was spending my time over-coiling a new hairspring for somebody's watch (seriously - and it's running really well, too!). I'm not at all sure it was worth the effort, but it's someone I work with, and she really wants it to run.

I don't know about tying the aluminum boxes with only the Illinois Ball RR watches except by inference:

• The only other watches that I know of that came in aluminum cigarette boxes were Illiois RR watches (Bunn Spl and Sangamo Spl)
  • There aren't very many of these Ball boxes around, yet Ball sold a very large number of watches, through his jewelry store and as RR watches (which I remember being a separate company)
  • I actually have a somewhat beat-up outter cardboard box for one of the Ball aluminum boxes, but it doesn't have a great deal of information on it, and what it has is hand-written, which makes it hard for me to decipher. (I suppose I should dig it out and try really hard to figure out what it actually says about the watch that came inside).

As for the bottom of the Ball aluminum boxes, they say Park-Sherman on the bottom.

Posts: 72 | Location: Mechanicsburg, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: July 18, 2004
posted
Hope you can dig out that ball outer box harvey, would be wonderful to see...

how 'bout an outer box for a sangamo/bunn aluminum box?
got a pic u wanna share?

posted
Here is an outer cardboard box for SS/BS alum. box.

Doug

Posts: 83 | Location: East Hampton, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 10, 2004
posted
And the alum box.

Doug

Posts: 83 | Location: East Hampton, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 10, 2004
posted
Thank you Doug !

Wanna show the end label?

posted
Terry, thought I had a pix of the label. I'll take one and post it ASAP. It is for a common 21J BS - not even a 60 hour Frown

Doug

posted
ThAt makes it even more interesting !!!

posted
I've been waiting on Chief Sangamo to show his face (on a Sangamo box), but here's a 60 hr set of boxes.

Now who has my BS # 5028608

posted

posted
alum

posted
back side

posted
insides

posted
thanks charlie... that watch is somewhere !