Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Veritas Gr. 360 question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi,
I just got lucky and got a good buy on an Elgin Veritas 21j Grade 360. I know that there was a small run of this movement and that the plates were a different shape often called "Lord Elgin Plates". I was wondering if there were any other important differences or things of interest about this grade. I've not received it yet, but when I do I'll post a picture of two for anyone interested.

Thanks,
Tom O.

Posts: 94 | Location: Collinsville, Virginia in the USA | Registered: January 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
If that was the eBay you got for $292.00, "you betcha" that should be a good deal. You were bidding against me and I fell asleep at the helm. It looks like the seconds wheel stafff is still there, so all it needs is a good cleanup and restoration to achieve it's value. The Montgomery dial adds considerably too.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I'm going to take the fifth on whether it was I who won the watch. However, sometimes you can get lucky on Ebay. I plan on restoring the watch and since I collect Elgins keeping it. Can't wait to get it.

Posts: 94 | Location: Collinsville, Virginia in the USA | Registered: January 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Thomas, I was offering you my congratulations, You got a great timepiece. I bid it to keep my 350 company which in fact I just cleaned and adjusted tonight! Beautiful things. I just wish Elgin could tell me why they put the Diamond Endstone on the bottom! Let me know if you need any help when it comes in.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
David,

I was just joking. I knew you meant that in good humor. The watch has arrived and I've taken a look at it. The hands were rusted and the case so brassed and beaten that I was elated to see how nice the movement and dial are. I've included some pictures if anyone is interested.

Best,
Tom O.

Veritas movement

posted
And here is the dial:

Veritas dial

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
A great, rare Elgin. Are the Hands still usable? That is if you soak them in my "secret" rust remover (see pic), then re-polish, and re-blue them)

With an Elgin "Honest" (w/the 6) Montgomery Dial like that who needs a case? Beautiful. I would go through that movement with utmost TLC, it looks like it has seen some service. The gold timing screws are run all the way in which may explain some of the reason the regulator is set over to the slow side.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Before . . .

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
After (btw, This is the Elgin Montgomery dial they could skip the 25 cent royalty payment for by deleting the 6 that you have on your mint dial)

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Nice movement too, looked a little dirtier than yours before I had at it.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
My "scret formulas" for cleaning driveways and removing rust from rusty watch hands, plus the secret stuff to clean porcelain dials. Note; This comet cleaner is ONLY available at WalMart out here in CA, and the Home Depot SKU# is on the rust remover bottle if you want to derust watch hands and clean concrete driveways. Cool

posted
Thanks for all the pics and tips, David. One of the hands actually was rusted enough to have some flea bites out of the edge so I'm going to be hunting up some more. Funny that there wasn't much rust staining to the dial. I'll be sending this one to Chris Abell eventually since I've reached the limit of my skill set.

Best,
Tom O.

12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
Tom
Would you please send an email to me at RSchussel@Yahho.com.

I am trying to get an email to you about the Lord Elgin mvt but it keeps bouncing back

Bob

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
posted
Hi Thomas,

Congratulations on your Veritas 360!!!

I also collect all high grade Elgin 13th models.(I just think they are Awesome).

Like Mr. Abbe I have a couple of the 23J 350 Grade -1000 production, and 21J 360 Grade-1000 production.

But the one that seems to be really tough to get is the 17J 361 grade-1000 production. Although it is not a Veritas Grade, and seems to only be found as an B.W. Raymond. It is really strange that Elgin (+50,000,000 Total Production!)would make short runs of High grade watches...Just doesn't add up???

Here is a shot of the 361 grade, have had it for a while. but never have done the service.

Elgin BWR 361

Posts: 105 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
Hello Sean,
Do you still have the Veritas grade 350's in your collection?. If so, I would love the serial numbers for my database I am compiling.
Thank you,
Ray

btw.....Up to 14 in the list of 1000 now I think. Smile

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006