Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Q: ID'ing a watch [A: American Watch Co.] "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Newbee here:
I'm trying to get some info on a watch and to educate myself along the way. The watch in question is a size 18 in a white metal case. The case has a provision for a lever set watch, but this movement is stem set. The crystal unscrews nicely, and the porcelin face is unsunk and has a very small chip at the 9 o'clock position. The face is marked "A.W. Co."
The fob or chain bail is missing from the stem housing. The stem pulls out easily allowing the movement to swing upward with only slight pressure. The second hand was working well, however when I turned it over to photo the back, it fell out. Thankfully it wasn't lost, and it went right back into its hole, but now it doesn't rotate. The interior of the case has a small shield with the letters "AW" over "Co". There is also the number "7777" and a small jewelers mark "134+".
The back of the movement is engraved "STERLING" in plain block letters and under that is engraved "WALTHAM, MASS." in fancy block letters. Small block letters indicate "SAFETY PINION" and there is a serial number "2967482". The rest of the back is plain, except for fancy engraving behind the adjustment indicator.
I don't think the watch is a brand name Waltham, but rather it was just made in Waltham, MA. I can't seem to find a company named "A.W. Co" anywhere so I'm stumped. The watch runs well, although I am reluctant to run it as I don't know when it was last serviced and I don't want to do damage to un-lubed surfaces. I did spray it real well inside and out with WD-40 to keep it from rusting.
I'll try to post the pic's, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the sizing. As a side bar, can anyone tell me how to resize in Picasa?
I sure hope that ya'll can get me started off in the right direction with this. I don't think this watch is particularly valuable, but I would like to fix it up for an everyday carrier.
By the way, I was just kidding, about the WD-40, I didn't really do that, I just threw that in there to keep everybody awake.

Posts: 15 | Location: Florida in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2013
posted
here is one

posted
here is another

posted
In the first photo, the crystal is removed for clarity

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
A.W.Co. is American Watch Company,Waltham Mass ,- Waltham for sure, and on page 119 in the 2012 Fat Book (available from IHC185) in the Waltham section are 4 Sterling model 18 size watches listed from 7-15 jewels Wink

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
model 1883 7 jewel watch from Waltham aka as AWC.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Jerry, if you're trying to resize photos in 'picassa', the easiest way to do it is simple. As you're glaring at the photo in picassa, look down below where it says, 'export', just click. You'll see a dialog box which comes up. Right in the middle of that dialog box you'll see a number, such as 800 or something like that(way too large to post), with pixels printed next to it...just resize to 480 more or less, and you'll be good to go, believe me the picture will be quite clear. Rename the file you just resized and you're ready to post.

Posts: 29 | Location: Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2013
posted
Grade: Sterling

Srerling

Movement Serial Number:2967482
Estimated Production Year: 1886
Run Quantity: 2500
Size: 18s
Jewels: 7j
Movement Configuration: Openface
Movement Finish: Unknown
Model: 1883
Movement Setting: Pendant
Plate: Full Plate
Adjusted: No
Railroad Grade: No
Notes: Srerling

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
posted
So I can do it myself in the future: How do you determine its "Sterling"? Then once there how do you know 7j?
I looked up the cited reference and it shows for the 2 stem wind entries:

Sterling, 7-11J M#1877, M#1879
Sterling, 11-15J M#1883

I'm don't really undertand. It would seem that the first entry would indicate that the M#1877 was 7J and the M#1879 was 11J. But the second entry would indicate that the M#1883 varied with some watches being 11J and some being 15J.
I'm as confused as a goat on astroturf.

Just to clarify, my book is No. 26 the 2006 edition of "Complete Price Guide to Watches" but the page 119 reference seems to hold true.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Jerry, We all joined together in IHC185 to share our sum experience and reference libraries to research, identify, clarify and learn about variants such as your watch in question.

That said, using the "big book" to find your American Watch Co., Waltham, Model 1883, 7 Jewel, "Sterling" puts you in the "astroturf" pasture without hesitation.

The "Big book does NOT list such a watch at all. The closest one in the book would be the "Sterling 11-15J M#1883" listed.

The "big book" has many, many omissions, and is truly best used as a relative value reference guide only.

i.e. your watch is somewhat unusual for that description, but it IS a Waltham model 1883, 7 jewel Pocket watch named "Sterling" on the Barrel Cover plate. To answer your questions about "how" we get here with your watch, experience with these models shows:
1. The basic 7 jewels REQUIRED are including the Balance wheel (2 hole Jewels and 2 Cap Jewels) pivot jeweling, the escapement Bar Jeweling (2) and the Roller Jewel mounted to the Roller (1) assembled to the balance wheel staff. Waltham ALWAYS put those 7 jewels in this model, Minimum, but they are not in view as they are hidden between the movement plates.
2. If there are ANY MORE jewels used for the movement wheel train, they will be clearly visible on the main back plate of the watch you see when the movement is in the open. (Below illustration shows a 17 Jewel with plate mounted jewels on left and another 7J model 1883 Export model on the right.)
3. The model (year of first design) designation is evident from the design of the Balance cock/Barrel cover configuration which has a deep notched cover and a "toe" on the balance cock that conforms to that notch. The 1883 has the deepest of that series . . . this IS an 1883,

For value purposes, I would compare it with a similar export production model such as the "Sterling 11-15J M#1883" listed.

These 7 Jewel model 1883 movements were fairly robust. If this one can be restored, it would make a nice, albeit "heavy" carry piece. It is virtually unadjusted, so there could be a few minutes a day time variations with temperature and positions.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I have learned less than David has forgotten. What a lesson from the meistro!

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Amen Andy,
Or, in other words, He's forgot more than I'll ever know. Smile

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
Welcome, Jerry. Please consider joining us, using this link.

The Waltham Model '83 is one my personal favorites, simply because the Waltham design engineers made such an incredible array of plate patterns and styles - from your gilt style, to frosted, two-tone, gilded, and straight nickel:

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
Tnx big time to ya'll for the help. What was throwing me was to try to find "Sterling" as a manufacturer rather than a model name. Also, I was trying to take the book to literal. The advice:
The "Big book does NOT list such a watch at all. The closest one in the book would be the "Sterling 11-15J M#1883" listed.
The "big book" has many, many omissions, and is truly best used as a relative value reference guide only.

is golden! I will definitely remember that.