Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Removing Stubborn Case Backs "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
I had a particularly difficult case back to remove and John Duvall has a tutorial on removing them. Unfortunately this one would not budge so I had to try something else. I took 3 strips of 3M double sided VHB tape (which you can get at any automotive store 3m link here) and placed it on the back. Peeled off the red side to expose the second sticky layer and pushed it on a hard flat surface. Putting downward pressure on the outer edge of the case and twisting loosened it immediately with no residue left to clean up.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
That is very helpful information, Roger....I'm sure that many of us has had to deal with stubborn screw covers, esp since sometimes they are cross threaded....

I normally use rubber surgical gloves, the disposable kind, when removing rear covers or front bezels manily so as not to leave oily hand or finger prints but in the process the rubber also gives one very good 'traction' to grab hold and move these sticky covers without too much effort....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Istarted out using this.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Then i found this.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
The smaller side, for the smaller watches.

Another thing I found that helps. If you think it may be loose case screws, turn the watch, crystal side down, give it a few light taps, to loosen and let the screws go away from the back cover, then try to turn it off.

It has worked for me a FEW times now. Smile

Regards,
Larry

IHC Member 1357
posted
Lawrence,speaking of cross threded case backs,what can be done of these if anything. Regards Roger

Posts: 4094 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
I sometimes just grab a wad of Rodico. When "mushed" up against the back it usually provides enough grip to break things loose. When that doesn't work I go to a tape approach using 1/8" thick double stick tape.

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Roger sometimes the threads can be cleaned up and still work okay, however if they are real bad it may be necessary to recut the threads....

I send mine to Leon Harris who can take care of the problem for you....Here is his contact info.... HarrisLJ@msn.com or phone 931-261-0543....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Most of the time, when a watch case cover is cross threaded it is not too serious and you can see there is a "tight" side, and a gap around on the other side.

In such cases,(pun intended) I insert my case opener at a point in the irregular "gap" towards the "tigh spot" between the cover/bezel and the case body and gently lever it. Usually after a few tries at different "strategic (other) places" it will "pop" up

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Sometimes you might Think they are cross threaded, but when you look at them through a loop you may see that there is just one thread that is damaged. I have used a sharp tool, like a really dull knife, and actually staightened it out. Like jerry said, I also clean the threads really good. I have soaked the really dirty ones in lemon sescented Amonia, and then washed them with a tooth brush and hand soap. It is really amazing how much dirt can be in one of them!! Frown

If that doesn't work, I just start Yelling LEON!!

Just like I yell ROGER!!! on my movements when I get into trouble!! Smile

Regards,
Larry

posted
I've had some luck with putting cases with overly-tight casebacks into the freezer for a time. The metal shrinks fractionally, allowing the mating surfaces to withdraw slightly.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Member 1357
posted
Thanks everyone,I knew you guys would have some sound advice.I will try them.Thanks again Roger

Posts: 4094 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
I had a stuck bezel that I worked on for 2 days. I tried some of the methods I found on IHC185. Roger Nolfe's method was the only one that worked, and it took 3 tries.
Thanks Roger Smile

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008