• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Balance Problem "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a very nice old Waltham which was running perfectly until I passed it thru a demagnetizer and now the balance stops very quickly. It's like the roller has jumped the pallet fork. Is this just coincidence or has anyone else experienced the same thing. Confused

Currently awaiting a new click from the very spendid Brian C who's been extremely helpful and highly recommended. But wondered if anyone can shed some light on the balance problem

TJP

Posts: 83 | Location: Sleepy Sussex, United Kingdom | Registered: February 14, 2008
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Hi Terry,
Thanks for the kind words.
In the past, I have had watches overbank, demagnetizing them while running. I now only demagnetize them when the watch is stopped, and haven't had that trouble again.
Have you put the balance back where it belongs, and is it running ok now?
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Terry,

When you demagnetize the pulse or multiple waves depending on type used can cause the balance to move and any excess play/endshake in pallet / balance or incorrect adjusted guard finger, jewel problems to name a few, can cause it to find its way past and into the "out of action" as it did in your case. This should not happen reset your balance and should run ok again, but shows it has the potential to get out of action at any time. Is it a coil type demagnetizer? Did you switch on move to it then remove well away before turning off.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Hi Brian/Chris

Thanks for your replies, I have a coil type demag which connects to the mains (240V) here. Although DeCarle talks about a step down transformer in his book (12V or 6V) so wonder if there is too much horsepower so to speak. I placed the watch in the demag, then turned on and withdrew slowly and turned of when an arms length away. Which I now understand was probably not the correct proceedure.Should have turned it on before placing watch Confused

As I now have a reason to dismantle have decided to clean and re-assemble in readyness for my new click Big Grin

Thanks again for your advice, very much appreciated

TJP

Posts: 83 | Location: Sleepy Sussex, United Kingdom | Registered: February 14, 2008
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Terry,
I believe you did it correctly for a coil type demag.
E-mail me your address and I'll put the click in the mail.
Thanks,
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Terry as you said it "stops very quickly", you may actually have a simple problem of the Balance (hair) spring having jumped over the Center wheel (arrow) while doing the "St Vitus Dance" due to the demag operation. This is not uncommon for 3/4 plate movements, and as you did not describe your movement, I only suggest this as a possibility

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Hi Dave, it does seem to be overbanking, checked as you suggest and balance spring is correct, looks very good in terms of shape etc, perhaps doing the St Vitas dance did it some good. Big Grin
In terms of the movement I am really not sure, all I know for sure is it's from 1908 and has a recoil click spring (thanks to Brian C on this point) which I assume indicates it is a mid range product from Waltham. Notwithstanding the absolutely fantastic examples I see on IHC, for me it is a beauty, nickle plated plates, a very attractive but conservative style which I carried until the click gave out.
I plan to clean and correct said issues to get it working as it should. Often wonder about it's original owner, oh if only things could talk

I cannot say how much value there is having access to the expertise in IHC, fact is a year ago I would have not even contemplated removing a movement let alone actually stripping down a complete watch, all thanks to IHC and the guys here who share their knowledge freely and generously.

TJP