WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Early 1900's Waltham, Crescent, Hatch pocket watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I inherited my great grandfather's retirement pocket watch. He worked for the San Francisco Municipal Railway back in the 1900 - 1910's and retired as the #2 conductor.

The watch is quite heavy and is yellow metal or gold. It is an open face "Waltham". Inside it is engraved with the following: on the case it has, "CWC Co." with a crescent moon and star and the word "trademark". then a little below that it has "Warranted Crescent 25 years". The number on the case is 2036079.

On the watch mechanism the serial number is 16196943. It has the name "J Q Hatch & Co., San Fran., Cal."

From somethings I've read JQ Hatch was a jeweler/watchmaker in SF around 1900-1910. But I just don't understand how Waltham, Crescent and Hatch all work together in this one watch. And when, where and how it was put together.

Anyone with any thoughts. I'm a new member and just thought I might get alittle help.

Sincerely,

Walter

PS: I will try and submit a photo, but my computer skills are not all that sophisticated.

Posts: 9 | Location: San Francisco, California in the USA | Registered: May 17, 2013
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Please check the serial # from movement one more time looks to be wrong.
your watch is what we call private label was made by Waltham for the SF jeweler
And Welcome to best place for watch talk on earth.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
The number I am looking at is next to the largest gear of the entire watch mechanism and is along the outer edge. It is the same number as before, 16196943. The other inscribed items I forgot to include were... "17 jewels" and "adjusted".

Walter

Posts: 9 | Location: San Francisco, California in the USA | Registered: May 17, 2013
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Perhaps others will help you, from your s/n
I have no info on any data base on this Waltham

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Thanks for trying.

posted
Sorry for that last photo..... I warned that my computer skills weren't very good! Geez and it came out inverted as well. UGH!

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
the case is gold filled ,made by the Crescent Watch Case Co. or is the Crescent model by someone else, and "gold filled" means that it is guaranteed not to wear through to the brass base in 25 years of average use. Wink

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
and TOO BAD IT WASN'T an inverted dial,that WOULD be quite unusual !!! Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1110
posted
Walter, those J.Q. Hatch Walthams are a nice Railroad grade 16s model 1908.They are usually marked No. 1047.I've asked about these before, there is some info on here if you search this section for "J.Q. Hatch".That's a really nice watch to have!Hope this helps...Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Thank you, I will.

posted
As I am a newbie here... what do you mean by "16s"?

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Here's the only clue I come up with on this serial number:Waltham Grade: Assorted Spec
Total Runs
Total Produced
Start Year
End Year

(A 16S refers to the size of the movement)
http://www.cwrnh.com/techpages...ize_conversion_c.htm

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1110
posted
Walter, I forgot to mention, what you have is what's known as a "private label" Waltham watch.J.Q. Hatch contracted with Waltham to have these watches specially made with his name on the movement.These are either a Crescent St. or No. 645 (standard Waltham railroad watches), but with the Hatch markings.Most American,and some Swiss,watch companies did private label watches for jewelers and supply houses back in those days.The Waltham ser. number list lists those as specials, with no name or how many made,so there's no real way to know how many of those Hatch-marked watches were made.You have a real keeper,that's for sure.....Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Thank you all for time and info. I now feel very special - in deed - to have my great grand father's Waltham "assorted special".