Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hairspring Rust "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
I have an Elgin Model 8 B.W. Raymond (18s 19j 3/4 plate) that keeps excellent to railroad grade time. A watchmaker looked at it the other day and said it's off beat (ticks and tocks are slightly syncopated) and there are spots of rust on the hairspring.

Short of taking the watch apart, which I hate to do because it performs so well, is there anything I can do to prevent further degredation of the hairspring?

Posts: 149 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: September 23, 2009
posted
IMHO small spots of rust should not make it impossible to put a watch in beat. The problem with the rust comes when you try to regulate the watch. It usually makes it virtually impossible.

regaards, John

Posts: 299 | Location: Mount Brydges, Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 10, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
OK Chris...This is the third time I'm trying to reply to your post. I guess I should read what we are dealing with before I type a reply. Smile

You can easily check to see if your watch is in beat without taking anything apart. You might need a magnifier or loupe. Let the watch run all the way down. Observe the pallet arm and find the banking pins. If the arm is centered or nearly centered between the banking pins your watch is in beat.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Christopher, If it is running well now, please leave it alone. When it begins to deviate on time accuracy, have it serviced by someone trustworthy like our very own Chris Abell.

A watchmaker telling you it is "off beat" is as meaningless as a doctor telling you you have a "grey spot" on your x-ray".

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Christopher,

I agree with David to leave it alone if it is running well. I gave you a way to check for proper beat so you could see for yourself and maybe that would help alleviate any concern you may have. It also tells you something about the watchmaker if it is OK when you take a look.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008