Tools
Reply to Post

mainspring for 18 size Ball Hamilton 19 jewel "Click" to Login or Register 
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Could anybody tell me what replacement mainspring I need for a Hamilton Ball 18 size, 19 jewel, movement. I would like to use an alloy type spring.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Larry COULD BE ONE OF 2 DIFFERENT SPRING i think these were based on the hamilton 944 19 jewel movement(if i am wrong someone correct me) if so it,s probaly a motor barrel watch..The e&j swigart book has the number 14 spring listed for the 944 -width is 3.18 mm- length 25-1/4 inches long thickennes is .018 ..this one had what looks like a hook on one side of the spring That hooks into the bottom of the barrel but no tab in the mainspring barrel cover ,this is more than likley the one you need.

The other one listed is a number 232 with the same lenth-width-strenght as the other but has a tab on both sides of the spring..One tab goes into the bottom of the mainspring barrel and the other tab into the barrel cover.

When the mainspring barrel is removed from the watch it will be easy too tell which one it uses./
hope this helps
SAMIE

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Sammie thank you for the information, I think it is the No 14 that you mentioned

Larry

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Larry, I sent you an e-mail about some 1890-1901 Orioginal Rand/Mcnally Canadian and North-Northwestern US Railroad maps I have. Did you recieve that? I sent it to your e-mail address in this site.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Dave:

Yes I received your e-mail okay.

Larry