Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

How do I downsize images? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi all,
was just trying to post some photos of my newest PW, but they all seem to be formatted larger than what the browser takes, this is even after I have run them through a image downsizer, they are JPEG files, any easy solution to the problem,
Thanks,
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Welcome Bill,

All that is explained here...

HELP IN POSTING IMAGES FOR HOSTING ON OUR DISCUSSION SITE

Additional Information...

How to Photograph Your Watches and Clocks

It's great to have you with us,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Hi Bill,
Make sure you come in and post them, we love to see everyone's watches here.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
The easiest way I found was to go to photobucket.com and sign up (free). Upload your pics there and then you can select the pics you want to post and photobucket will format them for posting on a message board such as this one. It allows you to put multiple pics in one post rather than having to make a post for each picture.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Everyone

This topic began because Bill wanted to post images of a military watch here...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/990103944/m/1891071513

As you see Bill Manders sorted it out and downloaded the "Picasa" free-ware that many of our members use.

About the suggestion Roger made, it sounds good at first, it may be and I'm sure it is convenient to use. But here's the problem created by using and relying on such services. Generally speaking, the images are there for a comparatively short period of time and one day, next week, next month, next year they may be gone forever. Whether or not the photobucket service will be reliable over the long haul or if an individual enrollment has to be renewed or updated periodically to avoid loss of images remains to be seen. For example Roger's beautiful topic "J. H. Rosberg Watchmakers Bench" could be disrupted if the images disappear one day.

Here at IHC185 we have a large investment in maintaining our imaging archives. Since we first began hosting images on-site more than five years ago not one or ours has been lost. The problem we find with some of the third-party hosting they could be there today and gone tomorrow. Some of our members tried using their Internet Providers to host images, problem is they changed providers and their images disappeared. Perhaps someone could explore the photobucket image hosting service and any "fine-print" disclaimers they may have.

Images hosted on-site with IHC185 are specially posted individually in order to make it easier to describe the subject, that way each image is clearly identified. It may take a little longer to post but in the end we have found works well over more than five years of experience. We feel if it is worth sharing in the first place it is worth posting within our system to become part of a time-tested, proven and reliable Horological Educational Archive.

My personal recommendation is to follow the links we provide, learn to size your own images and then post them individually so they are hosted on-site where they are not likely to disappear.

I hope this is of help,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hi all again,
The information Lin had given on resizing images for posting I found really good, I did download Picasa and ended up submitting the pics I had. I also downloaded a program called VSO image resizer another freeware program and found it even easier, at least for myself, being no where near computor literate. This program and Picasa have to be the way to go for imaging pics, and you can size them to whatever you need them to be.
Enough ranting about these programs, try them you will enjoy them
Thanks,
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008