• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Any hope for my Seth? (Updated 11/2013 Hand & Dial Images!) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Here is a picture they are not the best but no rust

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Robert,
I appreciate the help. Eric helped me find a parts movement that has the hands on it.
However, I do need a second hand for another Seth model 8, but I'm not sure the post size is correct.
Eric would know.?

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Robert,
I'd hate to break up the set. Why don't you send these to me and I'll try to find a home somewhere for them down the road.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
The hour and seconds hand are correct; that "reverse-arrow" second hand is actually for the higher-end watches and is therefore more desirable. The ball-end seconds hand was for the 7-jewel stuff like the Model 8.

The minute hand belongs on something else.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Eric,
So what models does this set fit?

I still owe you that cup of coffee. Smile

Dave Turner

posted
The hands will fit any 18-size Seth. The tolerances were never that close, so it may be necessary to close or broach the hands slightly.

The light spade hands should go on anything with a Roman dial:

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
Rob's medium spade-and-poker hands should go on an Arabic dial:

posted
Heavy spade-and-poker should go on the heavy Roman dial:

posted
The open-kite are usually seen on the 24-hour Roman dials:

posted
Open morning-glory would be used on a dressier font, like the Gothic Arabic:

posted
And fleur-de-lis hands for the light Arabic dial:

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Those are some fine looking Seths.

Not sure I ever even saw a watch with the open kite pattern.

Part of what I was trying to determine outside of matching hands to the proper dial is the difference in post size between models. (Interchangeability).

Dave Turner

posted
They're all the same, Dave. The canon pinion and hour wheels are the same on the Model 1 right through the Model 13, including the 5 - all except the key-wind Model 4.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Robert,
Sent you an email. I'll take the hands.

Dave Turner

IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
I got it Dave hands are on the way to you.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
posted
The key-wind Model 4 used completely different hands:

posted
Seth also supplied Louis XIV gold-filigree hands for fancy dials:

posted
There is a third style of medium spade-and-poker hands - a slender, more tapered style reserved exclusively for the Maiden Lane and the legendary double-sunk red/black Gothic Arabic dial: