Tools
Reply to Post

need help with this watch & maker "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member 11
posted
Trying to ID this maker..Adolf Schneider / Dresden

google turned this info up...

http://www.demesy.com/histories/lange_sohne.html

this watch is in a heavy 18kt HC case with matching serial #'s on both movement & case and same dimensions as the watch in the Hess auction
can anyone help??
thanks..
cheryl o........

Posts: 8 | Location: Mar Vista / Venice, California USA | Registered: May 01, 2003
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
The genealogy of Glashütte watchmaking - located in Saxony's Müglitz Valley - begins to 1845.

Ferdinand Adolph Lange of Dresden acquired a state loan and founded the first Glashütte watchmaking company, cross-training the area's weavers and miners.

He was soon joined by a veritable assortment of master watchmakers - Ernest Kasiske, Julius Assmann, Ludwig Strasser, Gustav Rohde and Adolf Schneider.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Cheryl,

Nice to hear from you again.. Movement appears to be an Adolf Lange from Dresden Germany.. But that is a uneducated guess...Very high quality if it is...it appears correct..jeweling, bridge layout, ect..

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
Schneider was one of the founders of the Glasshutte school of watchmaking. His watches are very similar to those of Lange as are the watches of Grossman and others who were involved. Lange is just the best known and most productive of the group.

I have a very slow connection here and did not read all of the above material. This is essentially a duplicate affirmation of the information. Wink

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

WOW!!!

Had to put on my shades...

Cheryl, you continue to keep coming up with beautiful and worthwhile items.

Very important watch. Has everyone picked up on the exhibition 18K solid gold case?

Absolutely gorgeous, and a lower serial number than Jeff sold recently.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Bernhard Schmidt
posted
Hi Cheryl!
That´s some european quality for a change, isn´t it?! Really nice and beautiful.
/Bernhard

Posts: 423 | Location: Västerås in Swedem | Registered: January 02, 2004
Picture of David Fahrenholz
posted
Yes,
that is a nice example of German watchmaking. Cheryl what case is that in?

David Fahrenholz

Posts: 52 | Location: Fishers, Indiana USA | Registered: June 24, 2003
IHC Life Member 11
posted
Thanks so much guys &(and gals) for the info...

David,the watch is housed in a 18kt case, fancy punch marked " M.F. & Co. ",serial # same as the movement with a quilted body and nice engine turned front and back.Measures 53mm across!
Very boxy and heavy.
Here is a photo of the front...

Hi John Pavlik!

cheryl o......

Posts: 8 | Location: Mar Vista / Venice, California USA | Registered: May 01, 2003
posted
Could the Case be a
Monnier & Frey/ M.F. & Co. (Frey & Co.)
Are the Letters inside a Triangle?

Sheila

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
If the case logo looks like this it is from Marshall Field & Co. in Chicago.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
This is the one I mentioned above.
Do you have a picture of the Hallmarks on the Case?

Sheila

M&F Co1

IHC Life Member 11
posted
HI GUYS,
HERE IS A SNAP OF THE MARK..
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP

CHERYL O........

Picture of Bernhard Schmidt
posted
Hi all!
Does this movement look like a true glashütte to you? I have hard to read what is written but maybe you can tell from the shape of the bridges and so on. Look at the regulator!
Regards!
Bernhard

Posts: 423 | Location: Västerås in Swedem | Registered: January 02, 2004
posted
Hmmm

Many times watches were marketed to German countries (and nearby countries) as "German" that were acutally swiss with a German looking ebauche.

That is what you have here IMO.

Anyone else have an idea.. I could certainly be wrong but that baby has GOT to be swiss...

Jeff

Posts: 764 | Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida USA | Registered: June 26, 2003
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
I will probably go along with Jeff on this one. However, there sure are a lot of Glasshute earmarks. The square arbor with the dog screw is usually definitive of German.

However, the square cross is the Swiss patent mark and Spiral Palladium (if that is what I am reading) looks like Non-Magnetic Watch Co. of Geneva content.

Is the maker name Borel & somebody?

For watches like this I am not sure it really matters which country the assembly work was actually performed in. The watch is clearly an international effort with intellectual content from both Switzerland and Germany.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002