WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Horological Discussions, Questions and Answers  Hop To Forums  Pocket Watch Discussions    why are pocket watch cases refered to as "4oz, 6oz, 8oz" and so on
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

why are pocket watch cases refered to as "4oz, 6oz, 8oz" and so on "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
These terms are confusing, yet common "currency" when discussing pocket watch cases. The "ounce" rating seems disconnected from any actual weight or even dimension. Can anyone explain these seemingly archaic reference terms - so that they make sense?

Posts: 10 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: March 29, 2015
Picture of Brian C.
posted
The ounces are usually for the weight of gold in the case.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Member 1851
posted
I believe these would refer mostly only to silver content cases. That number would refer to total alloy weight in Troy ounces. Any accessories such as stem crown crystal springs etc. are not referenced in the quoted number.

Posts: 207 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado in the USA | Registered: April 23, 2013
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Paul, can you post a picture of a silver watch case with it weight marked?

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Member 1851
posted
The ones I see are usually coin and early american

Posts: 207 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado in the USA | Registered: April 23, 2013
IHC Member 1851
posted
3 would generally be accepted as 3 oz

IHC Member 1851
posted
A silver filled case

IHC Member 1851
posted
Another very early case

IHC Member 1851
posted
2 oz

IHC Member 1851
posted
Sterling 3

IHC Member 1851
posted
Seems to be the 18s are the ones usually marked and even those are limited. When I hear oz's in larger numbers I automatically think silver.
The title mentions 8oz, That sure would be huge, never seen one of those yet.

IHC Member 1851
posted
An 18s dwarfed in 5oz

posted
Paul - thanks for the info, it really helped! Is it fair to say, that oz weights only appear (not always) on the cuvette of silver alloyed cases? I've never seen markings on gold-filled or silveroid-type cases. Are 16s cases ever marked? How rare are 5oz and up cases? I only have one 5oz coin case on my Illinois 18s grade 106.

Posts: 10 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: March 29, 2015