• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

HELP, HOW CAN I GET THIS WATCH OPEN? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
HELP! I JUST BOUGHT THIS WATCH THINKING A "SMART GUY" Eek LIKE ME COULD EASILY GET THE CASE OPEN USING MY PROFESSIOAL GRADE RUBBER CASE OPENER (NO) OR A CASEOPNER BLADE (NO,NO IT IS NOT A SNAP OFF)OR SHEER STRENGTH (NO,NO,A THOUSAND TIMES N0!). I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT PUTTING IT UNDER A STRONG HOT LIGHT FOR AWHILE TO EXPAND THE METAL BUT I AM NOT SURE IF THE ADDED HEAT WOULD DAMAGE THE WATCH SINCE I DON'T KNOW THE TYPE/MODEL OF M0VEMENT OR WHETHER IT IS ADJSTED TO HEAT/COLD. ANY IDEAS Frown

Posts: 3233 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: June 25, 2008
posted

posted

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Here is a LINK.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
crazy glue hex nut to it and give it a twist Smile

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
I search this site again. Here is another link. #2

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
posted
THANK YOU. SO MANY GOOD IDEAS. I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES.

posted
I was watching that one all the way, John. The tip-off is usually the hands - Seth put the chunkier spade hands went on the cheaper watches, while the more slender spade hands (like the auction example) were used on the higher grades.

Secondly, that's a genuine porcelain-enamel dial, not a faux Swiss pressed dial found on the lower stuff.

But the real indicator is the seconds hand. The lower-end Models 6 through 12 got the ball-end seconds hand, while the arrow-end hand (below) usually went on the Models 2 through 5.

I'm very curious to see what's under there. My guess is a gilt Model 3.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Did you get it open yet, John?

Regard! Mark

Posts: 3832 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
I have decided to send it to David Abbe and let the expert open it. It will need cleaning (COA) anyway.

jg

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Can I do a pictorial?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Anything you can do will be helpful. I am a little concerned about the "nuts and bolts" approach.

jg

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Looking forward to seeing the pictorial, David!

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3832 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
FYI& FWIW, the "nuts and bolts" approach Peter mentioned is a last ditch effort that has never failed me.

Years ago I took a large nut and welded it to a large flat washer. When all else fails, a little superglue around the washer affixed to the case back or bezel [glass removed], let it set up, place a wrench on the nut and simply turn it off. Works like city water and indoor plumbing Big Grin

It is large enough to work on the 18 sizes and it will work equally as well on the O sizes since the superglue is put on the washer where you need it to make contact with the stuck watch part. It's a 2" washer simple & effective Wink

Here's my "tool" Cool

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
John sent it to me . . . I opened it. Firstly the case . . . (new Xtal)

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
#836 made and dellivered in First Year (1885) production Model 1. VERY RARE and collectible. Should be OK Mechanically but needs a new balance staff.

posted
Thank you Dave. I am eager to know all about it. dis the casw survuve the opening well. Looks like a little dent in the photo.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The "dent" is a reflection of the camera. The case is allo-sameo but now can be opened at will. I directed my miniature gremlins to crawl under the dial and around the backside to detonate their non-volatile bad smelling salts of a non insulting nature but which cause the case to open its recalcitrant backside and let out with a "WHOOP", whereupon I sneakily grasped the case cover before it closed again and held it open whilst squirting in some miracle lube (isopropyl alky) upon which it gave up and stayed open with a "wheeze". Cleaning and fixing might take longer.

posted
We Irish call them leprecans and wee people. They are more seen after a "few pints" of the creature.
But your boys did a good job. This one is a keeper. Thanks again.

jg

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
When all else fails soak it for a day in a small container of goof off or lighter fkuid. It may affect the dial but some is better than none. I just remembered, Thermite works well too!

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
posted
Nice pick, John. Seth apparently blocked out its first 10,000 numbers for the Model 1 before changing the setting yoke arrangement for the Model 3, so you have a fairly scarce movement.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Dave, you need to get out of the office more! Or put on a mask while using chemicals. Smile

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002