Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A little case button on a 12s Hampden "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Can someone identify the little case button a half-inch or so below the stem of my 12s Hampden M. Stark? Never seen one. I can guess, but I don't want to.
Thanks. Smile
kh

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Without a photo this is just a guess. Some watches are pin set & the case would have a place for the pin to stick up. When the button is pressed in the time can be set with the crown.

Hampden did make some watches that were pin set.

Here is a link to some photos of Lindell's
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...=268100289#268100289

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Heck fire. Thanks Tom. That's exactly what I've got. A nice surprise because I imagined this pretty little watch to be an auction throw-in with two 18s silver-cased Hampdens.

It is heavy for its size. I was gonna put it on the block. Need to think on that again.
kh

IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Ken to the best of my knowledge the Molly Stark was a 3/0 size. If it is a 12s it may be a Gen'l Stark which was Molly's husband.

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Yep, yer right, Harry. It is a General Stark. I'm not near the watch or the big book, and got the two cornfused. Thanks for setting it straight.

Before I asked the question, I thought it could be a pin-set mechanism, but I was unsure because I thought that pin-set watches were gone by 1870. This timepiece has to be at least 20 years beyond that. Seems like an anachronism, but neat nevertheless. And why not, it's not a RR watch; it don't got to show you no stinkin' lever setting.
kh

IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Hi Ken,
The pin set is not that common for a Hampden as far as I know. Waltham made a bunch for Waltham's was mainly intended for the European market. Bond St. and Hillside to name a couple. I was reading in the book the other day and I did know Hampden made the first 23 jewel size 16 American watch.

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Ken, you can't just toss in a comment referencing "two 18s silver-cased Hampdens" and leave it at that. Smile

Apologies to everyone, a little side note. Ken, If you are unable to post the pics of that settle email them to me. I have an old Photobucket account and should be able to post them for you.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Some of the US-Made Pinsets that passed through my collection are (from Top left clockwise)
1. 12s Hampden Deuber grand
2. Waltham 14s Bond St.
3. Ingersoll Bros ~ 16s

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
David -- Is it your feeling that there are a lot of Hampden pin-set watches out there? Or do you agree with Harry?

Lorne -- I bid on a triumvirate of watches at some auction a few months ago (rejecting everything else there), and was pleased to receive all three in good condition and running - all likely need a COA of course. I'll eventually get to that, but I really like the old coin and sterling silver cases on the 18s boys. Will advise what they are w/photos in the Hampden section.
kh

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The mechanics for the Hampden pinset was crude at best, I agree with Harry that because of the market itself and the need for a special case, Hampden pinset production had to be very small.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007