Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

992 Case screws "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1668
Picture of Donnie Tackett
posted
Hi,
Do the case screws for the early model 1 992's have smaller diameter heads than the newer 992's have?
Thanks, Smile
Donnie T.

Posts: 84 | Location: West Virginia in the USA | Registered: January 30, 2012
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
How about a picture? I'm not sure what you mean by "smaller."

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Donnie,

Case screws were slightly smaller on the earlier Hamilton 16-size watches than those used later, but I agree with Ed that we could not guarantee authenticity of components without seeing the watch in question.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1668
posted
Ed,
I bought this watch in a swing out case which had the flat head type screws seen in the picture below. I was going to put it in a different case and was going to use some case screws from another newer 992 but the screw heads will not go down into the recesses of the movement and will not allow the case screws to tighten down against the case, thus the movement is loose in the case.
Confused

It looks to me if the case screw heads were smaller they would go deeper into the movement, allowing the movement to tighten to the case.

Thanks,
Donnie T. Smile

IHC Member 1668
posted
I suspected the earlier screws heads were a fraction smaller when the newer ones would no go all the way down.

Thanks,
Donnie

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Yes Donnie, here is proof the case screws are ever so slightly smaller on the earlier Hamilton 16-size watches, see the example of a Grade 990 below this posting which is also in a Swing-Out Case. Observe carefully how the case screws fit very precisely, look closely, nothing like seeing the evidence clear and close-up! Lindell Wink

This early model number 374629 is entirely correct...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1668
posted
Thanks Guys!!! Smile

Donnie