Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin grade 89 "doctor's watch" question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Greetings fellow members from a newbee,

I recently added an Elgin grade 89 center second pocket watch to my collection but have a question concerning the dial on this watch (please see attached pictures). This dial has both the sweep center second hand (not original)as well as the traditional sub-second hand. Most of the "doctor's PW's i've seen do not have the sub-second hand; can anyone provide me some information on this? I know that this is an early serial number in this run of watches.

Additionally, the dial has a perfect hole; it is champhered and looks like it was drilled straight through the dial plate. Has anyone seen anything like this before? what would be the purpose of this hole?

Any help in answering these questions would be greatly appreciated!... always learing something new Big Grin

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Second picture...

[Movement number: 940170]

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Third picture...

Kindest regards,

Serge

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Serge, welcome to IHC185, you will find a great bunch of guys here.

As far as your watch, Elgin #940170 all I can give you is the info contained in the Pocket Watch Data Base it is very handy.

If you slide you mouse over the two movements on the PWDB you will see two identical dials which I suspect originally came on your watch. I say suspect because I know nothing about these, I am sure someone will come along who does.

Also reading this:Posting Guidelines for Watches is informative.

Not much around here this Easter weekend but tumbleweeds.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Thanks to Lorne for getting you off to a good start, there is a very authoritative list of information sources and links right here on IHC for research...

IHC Technical Library, Serial Numbers and Site Links

I think the best interactive Elgin information is...

Wayne Schlitt's highly authoritative Elgin website

Here is number 940170 specifically...

http://elginwatches.org/cgi-bi...940170&action=search

The seconds register may have been added by someone who wanted to use that unfortunately drilled dial. For what it's worth, I would doubt that either the seconds register or the dial could have been original to that movement. The original dials on many early 16-size Elgins were friction-fit and it is conceivable that someone may have tried to attach that particular dial at some point in the past by drilling the hole you asked about which is not something we would do today.

Here is an IHC Find-Or-Search for more examples including great pictures (notice the original style hands are very specific) of other Elgin Grade 89 watches...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...Words=elgin+grade+89

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Serge, your dial is unique for its markings to the factory Doctor's watch dial. ALL of the (very) few made Dr's watch dials were unique for the 1/5 second stop time chapter at the outside diameter of the dial. Oddly, your Elgin Dr's watch with these 1/5 sec marks also has a factory-added sub seconds register (and 4th wheel with the needed seconds hand arbor extension) and a small hole at the top. Below is a "normal" dial for reference. see earlier discussions at;
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...=763007506#763007506

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Welcome aboard, Serge!
I don't know about the hole in the dial, but in the "complete guide to watches'--The fat book--, on page 186 in the 2010 edition there is pictured a 16s Elgin Chronograph. The face is not shown, but it could possibly have had a dial with the outer seconds ring and the sub seconds dial.Has anyone here seen that watch, or a photo of the face?

Very interesting topic about my favorite model!
By the way the watch [in Dave's post] above is mine.

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Thank you all for your well wishes, responses and support; it is great to get feeback and comments from like minded enthusiasts, especially for a newbee! I know that these watches are not as well thought of by serious collectors but their is something quite unique about this Elgin that makes it a standout for me.

I look forward to hearing from others and future discussions.

Kindest regards,

Serge

posted
This is my first post on ihc...

I have a "Elgin Doctors Watch" # 940750. I will try to post pics, but having trouble figuring out how to get good close ups using my cell phone.

My watch does not have the "added" hole. It was just cleaned by a local watch maker, no parts needed. it runs about a min. fast in day or so, I am happy.

I know this is an old thread, but why not revive it.

On a side note my family had a collection of about 33 pocket watches. My Great Grandfather was a jeweler/optician in Philadelphia around the turn of the century. 7 run. I had one rebuilt (full service) and two cleaned. Several are key wind and I have no keys.

I look forward to my new hobby...

bernie

spencer bernstein

Posts: 37 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: March 16, 2018
IHC Life Member
posted
Welcome Bernie!

You have a very good watch to start off this hobby with. they make great carry watches and conversation starters.
Photos are best taken with a camera that has a macro mode.

Don't forget to join the club ,to access the members only sections, Lots of good info available to members only!

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Please see this topic:

HELP IN POSTING IMAGES FOR HOSTING ON OUR IHC185 DISCUSSION SITE

Extremely large images cannot be viewed by those with slower internet connections or smaller screens. Due to those considerations and to avoid overloading storage capacity our system is set up to not accept poster size images.

>> Proper size: 640 X 480 Pixels
>> Resolution: approximately 72 Pixels/Inch

Posts: 5223 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Hi Bernie and welcome! Many enthusiastic pocket watch people over here at IHC185! Phone cameras are getting much better but when working up close, you almost always get undesirable effects when attempting macro photography with a wide cell phone lens. We have a good How to Photograph Your Watches and Clocks area with lots of good info. In the meantime, please show us any picture of this rare watch!

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
posted
after MANY hours, I think I have finally figured out how to resize my photos...

spencer bernstein

posted
yea, i did it...

spencer bernstein

IHC Member 2030
posted
Nice pictures.
Check the heart rate with that beaut , way up!
Welcome
Mike

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Welcome Bernie

Love the watch, it's one of my favorite Elgin's

Kindest regards,

Serge

posted
help...the crystal just fell out of the watch...I had just set it and put it in my pocket, checked the time and the crystal was off. The hands are NOT damaged.

When I had it in for service the watch maker glued it in with an epoxy made for watches. I will take it back to him for his opinion.

Any other suggestions???

Thanks,
Bernie and Happy Easter to all

spencer bernstein

posted
back from watchmaker. all good, and I am happy, ready to wear it, if I want to be formal.

spencer bernstein