Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ideas/thoughts on a 2974b "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
I just received this watch last week and was some what surprised/disappointed in the relation of the engraving on the back to the crown location.
The seller's picture of the back was of just the back, not screwed on to the body. The case numbers do not match, which I understand is not that uncommon with these military watches.
Any thoughts on the 90 degree difference of the engraving compared with other military watches.
Was it just a screw up by the engraver?

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted

posted
Edward, thats not a piece of jewelry, its a tool watch to serve a purpose, not to look pretty!

Regards

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
posted
It is possible that the screw threads may have been worn or damaged and recut so that the back does not screw down in the same final orientation that it did originally. Another possibility is that the back may not be the original one to the watch. It could be a replacement for a damaged one or it could also be 'not right' and added to add value to the watch. There are a number of operations in Eastern Europe and Southeast Asia these days where military engravings are being added to ordinary cases and dials to increase their value now that military timepieces are becoming more desireable and expensive. Your back engraving looks reasonable, but it does not quite match the back engraving shown on the 2974b photograph in the Marvin Whitney book on page 233. The serial number line formatting is not the same. It may be okay, or it may not. I just get uncomfortable and want to do more research when something does not quite match.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Werner, you are probably right...I am trying to find a problem where there isn't one!

Jim, I thought it might be a replacement, the numbers do not match. What puzzles me is that the engraving is not aligned the same as others I have seen.

Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Ed,

I think the case back is properly engraved. It matches the case back on my 2974B and is within 300 serial numbers. All four case part serial numbers match on the example in my collection. The writing on the back lines up when it is screwed down.

The case back must have been switched at some point. Another alternative is the case frame was switched. You should be able to tell by comparing the dust cover, bezel, back, and frame numbers.

RR

2974B Serial Number 2K244: Case Number 1387519

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Member 1550
posted
Gentlemen,

I have a Hamilton Model 23 with the same issue. The rear case lid is orientated slightly counter-clockwize to the 10 position when fully screwed. The case numbers do not match and like you stated that happens quite frequently with military pieces during repair. Unfortunatly I can not produce a photo right now as it is off being serviced. What I can produce right now is another slightly related issue. I just got in an Elgin 60sec timer. The ordnance nominclature on the rear case seems to have been stamped twice with the same information. Might this be the same possible European and Southeast Asian work? I will post some pics if I can. Thanks.

Posts: 495 | Location: Southcoast Massachusetts | Registered: May 13, 2010
IHC Member 1550
posted
Another view of markings

IHC Member 1550
posted
Another shot of serial number of movement. Maybe early Elgin timers such as this were stamped twice for some reason.

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Richard, I believe the back was switched for what ever reason. All the numbers match except the back mumber.

Thank you all for your input. At least now I know the back is origional to "a" USN comparing watch.

posted
Hi Michael.

Your case base was engraved twice, once that was original to the back and a second time that was done later. The second engraving seems somewhat crudely done compared to the original engraving that is worn and not easy to read. The two choices I can think of is that the second engraving could have been done either by a U.S. Army military watch repair center or by one of the number of forgers in Eastern Europe or Southeast Asia. I don't know that it will ever be possible to tell which, though the crudeness of the second engraving has me leaning slightly towards the forgers. Those $&*]^?@s are creating some real headaches for our beloved hobby and I wish bad juju on them all.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004