Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 4992B [Actually 3992B] question... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi All-
I have had this pocket watch for some time and have always seen where it should start with a 4C in the serial number. As you can see my watch is a 4992B but as you can see mine starts with a 3C.

Any info will be welcomed.
Paul

Posts: 16 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2017
posted
Here is the dial

Posts: 16 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2017
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
The dial looks like a British version of the 4992B. Serial number too I think. Do you have a picture of the case back?

4992B post

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
posted
The case back is plain with no markings I will post it later. I was also told that the factory used surplus 3992B contract movements in some early 4992B's to use them up
Paul

posted
Here is the back of the 4992B

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
It could have been recased. Either way, the dial looks to be a British or Canadian dial. Not sure, just going off of the info found here on the site. Might be worthwhile to check / post on the military portion of this site. Nice watch, though.
Dan

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
IHC Member 1613
posted
The dial is a British Military Broad Arrow dial...

Posts: 2004 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1613
posted
Paul there is a lot of info on this site to research more about your watch...There are a lot of folks here also with a lot of knowledge about military watches...I would suggest that you join our site...It is only $12 per year, which is very reasonable, and I am sure you will find out more about your watches...Just go down to Join and Support Internet Group 185 for more info...

Posts: 2004 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
posted
I just joined and payed the dues. Thanks!

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Thanks for joining up !! It will take a day for them to process your request as its a volunteer site and today is Sunday.

I also recommended to management to move this thread in its entirety to our military watch forum as its is either all military or made to look that way but there are some problems like not having a marked case etc. At any rate we have some great military watch gurus that know a wealth about different aspects of military style watches.

Welcome to IHC185 !!

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1613
posted
Welcome aboard Paul...

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Paul,

What is missing from your watch is the original case-back which has the same "coin-finish" around the edge like you have on the front bezel and markings such as you see (A. M. stands for "Air Ministry" of England) in the image below this posting.

As our Dan Carter pointed out above, you apparently have most of a 3992B with correct "Broad Arrow" dial. We have a great deal of 3992B information in our Military Forum.

BEGIN BY CLICKING HERE..."Evolution Of 4992B and 3992B Markings, Numbers and Database"

As Scott Whittey explained in July of 2011 (and shown in many IHC postings) the 4992B was a 24-hour Master Navigational Watch and the 3992B was a 12-hour Master Navigational Watch. Your 12-hour dial originally fronted a 3992B movement.

An IHC "Find-Or-Search" for "3992B Broad Arrow" will bring up some additional details.

(Topic moved to our "Military Forum" for proper attention.)

Keep up your research!

Lindell

Wink

Case-Back on movement number 3C170 in my collection...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I got this information today.

3C serial numbers were sold as a 4992B versus a 3992B. Your serial number 3C2595 shows being shipped in 1946 to the War Assets Corp which was the organization who handled the liquidation of excess government inventories. England no longer needed the 3992B's so they were converted at the factory and sold as 4992B's

Any thoughts?
Paul

IHC Life Member
Sergeant at Arms
Picture of Scott A. Whittey
posted
Aloha Paul
Your 3992B is just that a 3992B in order for it to be a 4992B it would have a 24 hour orbit [and black 24-hour dial] which it clearly does not and there is no evidence that it was “converted at the factory” it may have been shipped after the war in 1946 however it was shipped as a 3992B
Mahalo Scott

Posts: 293 | Location: California City, California USA | Registered: May 05, 2005