Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 4992-B, Specific Questions "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Guy W. Chandler
posted
Hello, military watch experts. I am bidding on a 4992-B on e-bay. After reading Lindell Riddle's post on the subject
(Apr.11,2012) I now have some concerns about the markings on the back case; it reads: AN 5740; MFR'S PART NO. 4992-B (?); SERIAL NO.AF 43-4010; ORDER 43-9969-AF; HAMILTON WATCH CO.

Here are my concerns: 1. Shouldn't there be a contract # in there, somewhere? 2. Shouldn't the MFR's PART NO. be '33106' for a Hamilton 4992-B?

I would appreciate any and all timely replies to this post, as the auction ends in 24 hrs. Thanks,
Guy

Posts: 4 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: June 28, 2012
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Guy,

I’m not an expert but if you go to Evolution Of 4992B and 3992B Markings, Numbers and Database and look at the post on July 15, 2010 09:43 you will see a case back marked like the one you’re describing. If you look through the topic you’ll notice earlier watches were marked 4992B on the case back and later it was changed to 33106.

From what I’ve learned many military watches had parts switched because when they went in to be serviced the goal was to end up with a watch that worked. They didn’t care about keeping the watch original so you may want to inquire if the case parts (frame, bezel, and back) have matching serial numbers if that’s going to be an issue for you. Other than that if the watch you’re inquiring about has a movement serial # approximately the same as the one referenced in the paragraph above it helps validate both examples as being correct. Hopefully this will help until one of the experts here can reply.

RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
Picture of Martin Wagner
posted
Richard is 100% correct in his assessment of what happens when military items get serviced or cleaned.

For many years now several military arms dealers have told collectors that weapons, mainly M1 Garands, Carbines and M1911 & A1s were not original unless they had the parts that they left the factory with, and they created "Material Data Sheets" to back their claims.

That is all 'bunk', and many guys have been taken to the cleaners because of that.

If any of you were in service you know that when a company cleaned their weapons after field games all of the weapons were stripped and parts thrown into cans of gasoline to soak. When it came time to reassemble you reached in and took a part, without any concern if that was originally yours.

One great example is the M1 carbine that had 10 major manufacturers and at least 200 subcontractors during WWII.

Can you picture a Marine on Okinawa, during combat, needing to replace the trigger guard on his Winchester made Carbine and looking high & low for an exact Winchester replacement, so that the collectors 60 years later could have an original weapon? Roll Eyes

Posts: 420 | Location: Alabama in the USA | Registered: January 26, 2012
Picture of Guy W. Chandler
posted
Gentlemen,
Thank you both for the timely & valuable information; it will positively affect my decision to go forward with the purchase.

G.C.

Posts: 4 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: June 28, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
I would add that Lindell was explaining the numbers on one particular watch, the one you are looking at is a bit earlier and as Richard pointed out those numbers were expressed differently as things evolved during the war. And especially I like the way Marty explained the real world circumstances these watches and the men who carried them had to endure.

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005