• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help with a 4992B "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello watch experts! I have recently purchased a Hamilton 4992B as a wedding gift for my fiance. His grandfather was in the 101st Airborne on D-Day and I thought this would be a great gift for him. I don't know much about the watch, though, and I would love to be able to give him some history on it when I present it to him. I did some research on the serial number to make sure I was getting one made during the war. I know it was used mainly for aircraft during the war. What else would he like to know about it? What do the markings on the back mean? I thank you all in advance for any help you can provide.

My pictures are too large to post, so here is the watch info:

Hamilton 4992B
AN 5740
MFR'S PART NO. 33106
SERIAL NO. AF43-26968
CONTRACT NO. w535 ac-40783
inside serial: 4C47929

Cheers from Cleveland!
~Erin

Posts: 6 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: April 10, 2012
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Erin,

Here is information on our Discussion Site...

Click here: How to Photograph Your Watches and Clocks

In there you will find information about sizing your images and posting them on our site.

Click these other links:

HELP IN POSTING IMAGES FOR HOSTING ON OUR IHC185 DISCUSSION SITE

PICASA - EXCELLENT FREE IMAGE PROGRAM

Extremely large images cannot be viewed by those with slower internet connections or smaller screens. Due to those considerations and to avoid overloading storage capacity our system is set up to not accept poster size images.

Hope this helps,

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5220 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
Thank you!

posted
markings

posted
More markings

posted
front

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Erin,

You found a very nice example of a watch that went to war... and won!

Breaking down the markings...

It is indeed a Hamilton 4992B and it looks to be a correct, original example.

AN 5740 is the government code for this watch design. Watches similar to these were made by Elgin and Waltham in addition to Hamilton, but Hamilton made the vast majority.

MFR'S PART NO. 33106 represents the Hamilton Watch Company part number for this type of watch. The Elgins were "1790" and on Walthams "1622-S-24-C" would be the marking.

SERIAL NO. AF43-26968 refers to the GOVERNMENT serial number assigned in 1943 to this particular watch, the "AF" is Army Air Forces, not until 1947 did the Air Force became a separate branch of the military.

CONTRACT NO. w535 ac-40783 designates the purchase contract for these watches.

Inside serial: 4C47929 This is what we call the MOVEMENT number, that is the only number found on these movements which were based upon the Hamilton 992B which was arguably the best engineered pocket watch ever made, they are strong, durable and eminently reliable. There would also be a case manufacturer's tracking number and signature inside the case-back.

There is a great resource "Evolution Of 4992B and 3992B Markings, Numbers and Database" where you will see similar watches. We also have a list purporting to show finishing dates indicating a February of 1944 assembly and shipment date for your completed watch at which time it was much needed for our nation's defense.

Nearly every bombing run, every landing and every invasion including D-Day was timed with these true and trustworthy timekeepers. They were used on land, air and sea all over the world beginning in 1941 and through the Vietnam Era. The GCT or Greenwich Civil Time marking on the dial referred to synchronization to what today is called GMT or Greenwich Mean Time. You set these watches to an upcoming time signal and "hack" the watch to maintain accuracy. That little piece of Stainless Steel wire in your movement number image stops the balance when the crown is raised and reengages it when the crown is pushed in.

Here is something you may enjoy from our "A Memorial Day Salute" back in 2005 which includes a tribute to these watches and the men who used them that you and others might find worthwhile.

You have a very interesting survivor and an important piece of history.

And finally... Congratulations to you and your fiancé and warm wishes for a wonderful future.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thank you so very much! This is exactly what I needed. Now I just have to find enough willpower to keep this from my fiancé until May 12th! Thank you again for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it!

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Your fiancee will be getting a treasure in both you and the watch! Smile

We are glad that we were able to help you and wish the happiness in your life together,

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5220 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002