Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 16 jewel airplane clock "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Here is a neat item a model 37500 Hamilton Aircraft clock.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
the back

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Samie

I like that! Don't know if I have ever seen a Hamilton.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Sergeant at Arms
Picture of Scott A. Whittey
posted
Aloha

This Aircraft clock was standard equipment on the venerable Vought F4U-4 Corsair

Posts: 293 | Location: California City, California USA | Registered: May 05, 2005
IHC Life Member
Sergeant at Arms
Picture of Scott A. Whittey
posted
Aloha
Here is Maj. Gregory Boyington's F4U from VMF-214.

Posts: 293 | Location: California City, California USA | Registered: May 05, 2005
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
These are the most complicated clock they made for the airplanes,,There is a 12 hour elapsed time clock at the bottom of the dial that runs independant of the 8 day clock.it is started by pushing the winding stem at the bottom of the clock the little orbit window will turn red push the stem again it stops and the orbit turns half white and half red push the stem again and it resets the elapsed time clock and the orbit turns white..

push the knob at the top of the clock and it starts the counter (large white sweep second hand ) for the 8 day clock push it again and it stops the counter then push again too reset it back too zero..

The civil date is set via. a red pusher by the bottom knob.

These have a 16 jewel complicated movement .

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Scott,

That F4U-4 Corsair is my favorite WW2 fighter. The "inverted gull wing" design was an imaginative design solution to shorten the main landing gear struts, while still providing enough height to keep the extra-large propeller from hitting carrier flight decks.

Six Browning .50 cal machine guns provided a formidable armament. The wing root air inlets gave the Corsair a distinctive sound, which led the Japanese to nickname it it "whistling death."

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Wow Scott, great pic of "Pappys" plane. And I agree with you Ed, the corsair is my favorite WW2 fighter plane. Living near the Chino "Planes of fame" airport I've seen many Corsairs flying out here and when Pappy Boyington wrote his book years ago I met him and he signed the copy I purchased from him.

Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
Oh forgot to add, Great clock Samie..

Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
These are the most elaborate of the mechanical aircraft clocks and were used in many different aircraft of the day. They were made under contracts given to both Hamilton and Elgin. I seem to see more of the Hamiltons around than Elgins, but not by much. They come up for sale on Ebay regularly and usually get good prices, especially the ones that have been recently serviced and everything is in good working order.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Picture of Robert Boll
posted
Here is a 37500 Hamilton Aircraft Clock of mine...

Posts: 77 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: January 14, 2014
Picture of Robert Boll
posted
Here is the movement...

Picture of Robert Boll
posted
Another picture of the movement...

Picture of Robert Boll
posted
Here is the case back with the inscriptions...

posted
I think that technically these would be called either a Hamilton-Elgin for the ones marked Hamilton like yours, or Elgin-Hamilton for the ones marked Elgin. They were jointly made by the two companies with each company using some parts provided by the other in assembling these.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
Otto Frei sells many of the parts for these Elgin-Hamilton clocks. The on-line catalog includes many exploded views, probably from the military repair manual,to illustrate the parts they are selling. Gives you a real appreciation of the complexity of these clocks.

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
Picture of Robert Boll
posted
Thank you for all for the input this is the only one so far I have gotten my hands on..

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Robert that is a nice clock,,i have serviced several of these and they are very well made ,lots of parts but easy to work on.