• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Model 22 questions "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I was reading some past topics here on the site re: Un-gimballed (Cased) model 22's. My questions are (1) How many types of the base metal cases were made and used for the model 22's?. I see the Drescher Chronometer Watch Case patent that was filed on 03-03-1943 but I also see Keystone base metal cases, are they the same?.
and (2)If the cases were patented in 1943 would my circa 1942 mod 22 be inappropriate for such a case since the movement was made before the case was patented ?.

Mine was gimballed at one time but now sits in a shipping tub and I'm trying to figure the best way to proceed, either gimballed in carrying boxes or cased in the small wood display boxes.

Thank you...If interested the serial # is 2F14609 with the #3695-1942 on the brass case.

Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ray this is just a guess on my part, but I believe articles were put into production at times before the patents were actually filed for with the government, even more so during a war.

Looking at he patent the design looks identical to my Keystone case, I think that Drescher designed it but it was filed for Hamilton & then Keystone made it.

Thats just my thoughts, anyone else?

After I typed this I got to wondering, when the model 22 came out where they all boxed & gimballed to begin with & then the need arose to have some cased in handled type cases? So they were converted over.

Tom

pat01

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
2nd page.

pat02

posted
Tom,
Very interesting points..Reading through some earlier posts lead me to believe that many (I think 10,000 or so) were cased and the rest were in gimballed boxes. I'm really kinda torn on which way to go. Earlier on in my collecting I let an original boxed model 21 go for far less than what it was worth. Wow, if I could turn back time Smile.

Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
The model 21 is one I would like to have but they are out of my league. Don't feel bad, I think we all have owned something at one time or another that we let go only to find out it was worth more than we thought.

Years ago I bought a S&W Model 60 from a guy for $120, he told me at the time he could get me another one new for the same price any day of the week. The next day or two I was in another gun shop & the owner noticed the gun, he asked to look at it & before I knew it he gave $250 for it. I thought, no problem I will just have the other guy get me another one, come to find out they were back ordered for years & the price had gone up to $300. Finally got another one but no bargain like the 1st one.

Tom

posted
Actually Tom, I am in the same dilema with a model 21...In the tub, no box...Nada....so, dont know if the money putting them together in boxes is actually worth the cost or not...Had them for years now..Time to decide i guess..

Yeah, those model 60's are great..I have a 3" stainless with the hammer shroud type Hogue grips..Love it..

Ray

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ray

If you can't decide what to do with the model 21, I can hold on to it for you until you do.

One of the guns I regret getting rid of was a model 66 2 1/2, sold it to another guy back in the 80's he is a Chief locally & still carries it to this day. Every time I see him the 1st words out of my mouth are can I buy it back. My wife had me a set of ivory scrimshaw grips made for it which I still have. Another gun I thought I would just pick up another one.

Tom

Picture of Matthew E. Sutton
posted
Tom, I agree with you, I think that the patent design was after Keystone production. In fact I'm sure of it. The patent was awarded to Ernest W. Drescher, a Design Engineer at Hamilton Watch Company. Mr. Drescher also designed and patent a center seconds hand, hacking mechanism for the Hamilton 987S wristwatch.

In 1942, Hamilton started shipping both the gimbaled and un-gimbaled versions of the model 22. In 1948, the un-gimbaled version was withdrawn from service and sold as surplus, or given to other government agencies. Many were remarked on the case back to indicate service with the U.S. Army Transportation Corps.
Hamilton produced:
13,531 Gimballed model 22's
9,780 Ungimballed
The year engraved on the back of the case or bowl is the year that particular contract was let.

Posts: 495 | Location: Kailua, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2005
posted
Matthew,
Thank you for the production info.

Ray

Picture of Matthew E. Sutton
posted
Hamilton model 22 style wristwatch

Posts: 495 | Location: Kailua, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2005
posted
Wow, what a beauty

posted
Were gimbled and two boxed 22 ever sold to jewelery shops for time sources?

Posts: 86 | Location: Florida in the USA | Registered: April 23, 2012
posted
I forgot to add im previos post, The bowl does not have any engraving at all and does not appear to have been turned to remove identification marks.

Posts: 86 | Location: Florida in the USA | Registered: April 23, 2012
posted
Good question Constantine, my understanding is that the gimbled and boxed 22's were specifically made for military applications. I'm sure one of our members will be along to answer your question soon. I too look forward to the answer