WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Double Boxed Elgin Deck Watch (Documentation Found) "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I recently picked up this piece and have been searching for information on it. The movement is an 18S, 17J, with SN 3543710. I have a Father Time movement, but not one with a wind indicator. Will putting this movememt in this case greatly increase the value of this piece?

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
posted
Outer/Inner box

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
posted
Gimbaled watch

posted
Dial

posted
Bottom side

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
hi Ken . I wouldn't think it would add all that much to the value. I think most of the ones I've seen of this type without U/D indicators were 19j BW Raymonds Wink The indicators were all free sprung 21 jewel and most if not all were Father Times and I've appended a few examples for you Big Grin

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6044861/m/873106091?

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...243995867#1243995867

Elgin B.W.Raymond Chronometer Deck Watch Mahogany Boxed ca 1905

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
The movement # 3543710 comes up :18s 11j pendant set.
Looks like someone already replaced the B. W. Raymond movement.

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
posted
Any idea of a relative value?

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
hi Ken; well first I believe that you have the inner and outer Elgin boxes and they are beautifully made and probably worth $500- $600 by themselves to the right person. I sold my last Elgin free sprung to one of the members ,Andy,who resold it. I would think he has a pretty good idea what they will bring WITH the free sprung u/d indicator Father Time movement,mind you it did not have I believe the top lid of the inner box,nor did it have the outer box Wink

here's one complete with both boxes and the Father Time free sprung movement

18 Elgin Father Time 21 Jewel Free SPrung Wind Indicator Gimbal Box Chronometer

[Buy It Now: $1,999.99]

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted

DOCUMENTATION FOUND

In going through the box of stuf that I got along with this watch I found a Navy Department Bureau of Ships document from the U.S. Naval Observatory that is the certification and timing record of the deck watch. The most interesting thing is that SN 3543710 is listed on this record.That means that the movement is original to the piece, and not a replacement movement as someone had thought.

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
^

an absolutely wonderful document, indisputable evidence that the movement is original to the chronometer . Our opinions are just that,opinions based on our limited knowledge of the subject!!! For the record, I never said there were none like yours ,just that I hadn't seen any , and I have owned a fair number of Elgin gimbaled deck watches. That said , official navy or maritime commission documents trump personal opinions every time,so the document is just a splendid piece of provenance. Wink The document adds to the historical value of the watch as well as adding considerable $$$$ value to it. Big Grin Being of a lower jewel count I'm assuming it was for the merchant marine as opposed to a warship ,but still for war service Cool

posted
^

Nice one Ken, wish it were mine Wink

Well Tom, we live and learn eh!...

Up comes a document to prove authenticity, down goes any further discussion as to the same.
Remember the IWC Mk 11 discussion? Smile

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
^

gerade überraschend Eek Cool

posted
Tom, how did you meld my two threads together?

posted
Ken, I believe this is above Tom´s abillity to do tricks, it was probably Debbie!

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Werner is correct.

I consolidated the two topics in order to avoid diverging and confusing topics. This way if someone in the future wants to refer back to this topic, all the information is in one place.

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5201 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
and there I was pointing my gnarled fingers at the monitor and summoning up all the magic I could,and chanting"JOIN THE TWO TOGETHER" over and over but failed miserably. Eek My magic was not powerful enough,and then came along a senior magician who pointed at the screen and said "Poof,you are joined" ,and they instantly were!! Big Grin AN AWESOME DISPLAY OF A REAL MAGICIAN'S POWERS Cool

posted
You can call me Nostradamus if you like Wink

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
YOU CONCEITED LITTLE GERMAN MAN,
I WAS TALKING ABOUT DEBBIE Confused ===== Big Grin