• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Need advice winding Hamilton Model 21 chronometer (NAVSHIPS pages) "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Paul, I would gladly pay for your time, gas, two bags of beef jerky and a red bull if you could lock the balance for me prior to shipping. Honestly, I will pay whatever you want. Ive gotta pay for it via the mail so there is some time.

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
posted
Hi Bruce,
I can do that for you however I just had back surgery on this past monday and am not allowed to even ride in a car until 11/12. This is when I see my surgen for a post-op. I also just MapQuest Melborne from my house and it is actually 117 miles. If those parameters can work between you and your seller then I can do it. I also believe you should convince your seller to separate the tub from the gimbal and place it in its own box. You can email me at pwatches@gmail.com to discuss further. Paul

Posts: 317 | Location: Florida in the USA | Registered: December 07, 2009
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Hi Paul,
Wow, sounds like we're in the same boat. I am off of work awaiting a back fusion because of a complete collapse of my L2-L3. I remember my first back surgery and didn't feel like riding in a car for a month. Thanks for the offer, but I wouldn't feel right asking you to do that. I will take your advice and have them remove the tub from the gimbals.

Bruce

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
posted
Bruce, I would be happy to separate the "tub" from the gimbals while I am there to "lock" the balance. Lets continue this conversation on the Email add I gave earlier.
Paul

Posts: 317 | Location: Florida in the USA | Registered: December 07, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
As the chain is disconnected, there may be damage to the escapement. I would urge you to contact Dewey Clark of Historic Timepieces for his thoughts in this matter.

http://www.historictimekeepers...ine_chronometers.htm

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
BTW Bruce, if you do decide to send it off doe repair, I can help you "cork" the balance wheel. El Cajon is a lot closer to you than Florida. Call me at (619) 596 1660

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Hi Dave,

I appreciate your kind offer. I bought a model 21 from an auction house in Florida. Paul has graciously decided to drive down and handle the corking and packaging for its trip to California.

Bruce Byrd

posted
Montecito Clock Gallery near Santa Barbara, Ca.

Ferdinand Geitner does work on marine chronometers!

805 565 9097

Give him a call.

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
F. Geitner is the watch and clock "expert" for Pawn Stars and also taught the Watch Repair class I took (in Ventura, CA). He will be expensive.