• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ok, guidance sought on 4992B's "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Without wishing to offend purists, I wish to assemble what I want as a utilitarian watch to carry when doing dirty work or hunting when I do not wish to wear a wrist watch. Not a historical representation, I see many of you are already preserving historically valuable representations.

I have a Non-working 24 hour version and a strong working 12 hour version.

What I want is a strong working 24 hour version with a fresh dial, superlume hands and with a clear back. Ideally with a sterling silver case.

Q1: can I assume making the 12 hour into a 24 hour version is as simple as having the hour wheel and maybe its drive wheel swapped in from my U.S. 24 hour watch?

Q2: I have heard the front bezzel and crystal can be fitted to the back thereby creating a clear back version? Therefore my donor 24 hour can serve?

Q3: Where might I get a NOS or reconditioned 24 hour dial and crystals?

Q4: Final question for now, how readily could I find a sterling case to house the 4992B movement?

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Kind regards, Tony

Posts: 48 | Location: Canberra in Australia | Registered: May 16, 2012
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Tony,

You are taking on something interesting, here is part of what you need to know,

ANSWER ONE: Here is a good beginning topic...

"Hamilton 4992B 12 to 24 Hour Change Back" by Samie Smith

In that great topic Samie Smith, one of our experienced IHC185 Watchmakers provides a very informative tutorial on how to go about converting-back a 4992B movement from 12-hour to the original 24-hour configuration. Samie takes us step-by-step from a mechanical perspective.

As you see it is a bit more complicated than is commonly believed.

ANSWER TWO: Here is a topic where I tell about a 4992B that I have often shared with those in attendance at various political and patriotic events...

Click for: 4992B AT VETERANS DAY RECOGNITION 2005

Not all bezels will fit the back, you may have to try more than one and even get into some "thread-chasing" to make this happen. Used parts are floating around, we can likely find what you need.

ANSWER THREE: The folks at "International Dial" did factory authorized reconditioning for Hamilton all those many years ago and as I understand it they have the original dies and expertise to "re-do" a metal dial to the original 24-hour configuration today. For crystals on a "carry-watch" my recommendation would be plastic, there are too many risks with glass particularly on the movement side.

ANSWER FOUR: I would not recommend considering the use of a Sterling Silver case in this project as they are not only difficult to find but expensive. Furthermore after sixty years they probably should not be subjected to the wear and tear of daily use and all that such activity entails.

See what you think, let us know of any additional information that might be of help.

These are my views, let's hear what others say!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thank You Lindell.

You advice is consistent with advice provided via PM .

I have now fully discounted the idea re casing it. I have also been offered an as new 24 hour dial and replacement hour and minute wheels, which might allow me to end up with two watches, rather than cannibalising the 24 hour watch if I can find what is wrong with it.

I have found this site a great source of expertise and I will study the links you have suggested.

Regards, Tony

Posts: 48 | Location: Canberra in Australia | Registered: May 16, 2012