Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Whats this? Elgin Clock 562 Movement "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Can you ID this unit? it is a working watch or is it a clock?
It's an 8 day unit as marked. It runs but has a loose cannon pinion.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Back

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
You have an aircraft cockpit clock of about 1942 production. Most likely made for military use in that year. There may be a data plate or an ink stamp on the back or sides of the case to indicate who used it.

It looks like a nice example with a good dial and hands.

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Greg,
I thought it was either aircraft or maybe a tank. I have no room for it so may be I will sell it. I sure would like to know the story behind it, who, where, when, etc.
The case marking on the back is 119.

posted
Patrick, If you decide to sell it, would you please consider offering it here on 185? Thanks

Posts: 301 | Location: Ogallala, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: August 27, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Joe, I think I could get a lot more on E Bay and all of 185 members can bid on it there.
We will just have to wait and see. $$ talks.
What would your offer be?
Patrick

posted
Patrick, You are right, eBay is the way to go. Give us the link when you get it listed. Thanks

Posts: 301 | Location: Ogallala, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: August 27, 2005
posted
This 562 movement Elgin with the center wind/set knob was used in both aircraft and armored vehicles such as tanks. To tell what you have you will need to show us the markings on the data plate on the back of the case.

With the damage you mention you would not likely get full value in a sale as a buyer would need to factor that into their bid, and it may cost more to repair than it is worth unless a person can repair their own timepieces. A professional watchmaker would charge far more than it is worth to repair it. These generally sell in the $40 to $80 range on Ebay depending on their condition and there are always a number for sale there since they are fairly common.

Posts: 871 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Jim, Thanks for your information. For that price I will fix the cannon pinion myself, They are easy to tighten, put it back in the stand and find room for it.

posted
They are good quality timepieces, though they weren't meant to last. However, since the US did so well in the war there weren't all that many that were destroyed and so they are around in fairly large numbers these days which is great for collectors as they are very affordable.

One thing to keep in mind as you are repairing it, the yellow paint on the dial has radium in it and it is 99% as strong today as it was on the day it was made. The reason it does not glow like a flashlight in the dark today is that the zinc sulfide that the radium was mixed with has been burned out by the energy in the radium. The glow used to come from the zinc sulfide molecules being excited by the radium and giving of photons of light in large quantities.

The point being, do not handle the dial and don't scrape the paint so you won't breath any in as dust. And keep it well away from children and curious pets.

IHC Life Member
posted
Jim, It's on the bench now and the cannon pinion is fixed although it was the barrel (Tube) on the second hand that allowed it to fall from 10 to 30 after the hour. It seems to be a strong runner so I will find a nitch to put it in.
Thanks for all your input.
Patrick

posted
Is there a dataplate on the back, or perhaps even ink stamped markings? If so they could be helpful in determining if this one was meant to be used on an aircraft or an armored vehicle like a tank.

IHC Life Member
posted
The only marking on the case, sides or back is a 119 engraved into the case. There are no other marks or inkings.

posted
Thanks. Perhaps someone removed it along the way in its life. As such there is no way to tell which use it was put to.