• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin 16s GCT BWR "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This watch is the 4992B type with a white 24 hour GCT dial & sweep second hand. The case has all the Elgin Military markings.
My question is; It has black hour and minute hands but a white sweep second hand. Is this correct?

Mike K

Posts: 108 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: August 09, 2006
posted
The hand should be blue steel and the case nickel. Some of these earlier white dial CGT also have U.S Army A.C marking on the movement.

Posts: 39 | Location: Bdr Sunway, Selangor, Malaysia | Registered: June 08, 2005
Picture of Steven D. Jencso
posted
Hi Mike and Lau,

I have a BWR with a white GCT dial, and the hands on mine are black.

What is the grade of your Elgin BWR with the white GCT dial? I am collecting info BWR movements that are grade 544.

Thanks,
-Steve

Posts: 266 | Location: Dover, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: February 14, 2005
posted
Hi Steven, according to Elgin database, mine is a 22J Grade 581, although marked as 21J on the movement excluding the extra jewel on sweep second bridge.

regards
siewming

Posts: 39 | Location: Bdr Sunway, Selangor, Malaysia | Registered: June 08, 2005
posted
This is a 581 also. I guess I'll just leave the white sweep second hand on it. It's a nice carry watch that I don't have to lever set.

Mike K

Posts: 108 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: August 09, 2006
posted
Whitney says that on your Type A-13, your should have either blued or black hands though I have only seen these with blued ones. They should all match. A white second hand, or any other hand, on these white face Type A-13s would not have been a good idea since it would have been too difficult to see in low light conditions. The black face Types are AN5740 and AN5740-1 and they have white painted hands - so that they could be easily seen in low light conditions. The AN5740 had straight dart type hands in the same shape as the A-13 hands. The AN5740-1 had a railroad spade shaped painted white hour and minute hands and the same white painted dart shaped second hand. It sounds like your A-13 has had its second hand incorrectly replaced with an AN5740 or AN5740-1 watch. I don't know how difficult it would be to find a correct second hand for your GCT, to put it to rights, but maybe someone on the forum might be able to suggest some places to look.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004