• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham 16s 9j No. 1609 crowfoot: AO? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have already got many kind answers about this watch (serial 31.539.951), discussing on how to improve dial (BTW some hints proved effective with other dials: THANKS!). There is one more question about No. 1609: on the Gray Book the model for this first run (31531001-541000) of November 1943 is "A O", the setting is "P S". Could you kindly tell me what AO stands for (Army Ordnance?) and what PS?

Thanks a lot

PS: there is only the crowfoot and a number on the back: can I infer it was a Navy issue?

Posts: 277 | Location: Cardano al Campo in Italy | Registered: March 29, 2008
posted
Could you please provide a clear closeup photo of these markings?

For the setting you say it has P and S. Are you sure the first letter is a P and not an F? F and S are the markings for fine adjustment settings on movements made in English speaking countries and stand for Fast and Slow. Moving the setting to F will make the watch speed up a little and moving it to S will make is run more slowly so you can adjust it to run more accurately.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Mario

The PS should stand for pendant (stem) set.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Mario

I am not familiar with what you are calling "crowfoot", by any chance are you talking about the British broad arrow mark?

Tom

posted
The arrow on the back is what we call it the English military put that on there watches if you ment No.OA-1609 is on the back cover instead of AO the OA stands for 7-9 jewel pocket watches.Can you post a photo of military marking on back cover and movement and the front it would help a lot.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
Hi Jim, Tom, thanks for your time.
Yes, crowfoot=broad harrow, the standard marking of than War Office, now Ministry of Defense. Jim, the "AO" and "PS" are not markings on the movement, I have not been clear, sorry, are written in the Gray Book, the Waltham ledgers. The "AO" is in the model column, the "PS" in the setting column. I do take Tom's explaination, but the "model AO" still puzzles me a bit. In any case, here follows a picture of the markings on the back of the case.

posted
and here's a front picture (no military markings)

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Mario

I think when they state AO they do mean Army Ordinance, & PS is pendant set. The 1609 was a Army issued pocket watch & was covered in the Training Manual 9-1575. For the US Army the back was marked Ordinance Department USA NO. OA-XXXX, the 1617 which was a 17 jewel Waltham was marked OC-XXX, with the XXXX being the number assigned that case.

Tom

posted
Thanks, Tom, I fully agree with you, as ever. Do you think that the markings on the back lead to Royal Navy and not to RAF or Brish Army ? If RAF I would also expect maker ID near the center of the dial, and if Army a "Mk ..." on the back (or GSTP, of course). What is your opinion, Tom?
BTW, I seldom find the "S" for sold-out-of-Service, so I do think that a lot od PWs have been "liberated" ...

posted

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hello Mario;

Some other past posts of interest:

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...041007541#5041007541

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...=293101594#293101594

Regarding the broad arrow, I have often wondered if the small chubby broad arrow like the one on your watch might be a Royal Navy marking. So far, this is only a source of speculation on my part. In WWII the Royal Navy, Royal Army and RAF had a set of rather specific markings in addition to the broad arrow. An arrow with a number and nothing more does not otherwise answer which branch of the British armed forces used the watch.

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Thanks, Greg. I do share your opinion, the "chubby" braodarrow could mean Navy. It's a fact that some 1609 have been marked GSTP, and have slim broad arrow. Whenever there is a GSTP, as far as I know, the arrow is slim, in my experience, and when I have found a chubby one there is no GSTP ...