Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

VETERANS DAY 2005... "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
To All the Veterans, Past and Present. I really apppreciate and thank you for serving our country.

Robert

USN-1961-1966

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

VETERANS DAY 2005...

Greg Crockett said it so beautifully last year right here...

(2004) "In a French rail car on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918"

Stephanie O'Neil began it the previous year...

(2003) "Happy Veterans Day"

Those of us who collect Military Timepieces often reflect on the sacrifices of those who came before. Days like today bring tears to our eyes and a lump to our throats.

My thoughts are expressed in this story...

I have a Hamilton 4992B equipped with bezels and crystals on both sides. On Memorial Day had I the honor of speaking at a nearby gathering and passed the view-back around as I explained its significance. It was really something to see the tears well up in the eyes of World War II Veterans when I spoke of the sacrifices of their generation and how these watches played a big role in helping preserve the freedoms so many take for granted. A retired municipal judge from our area was especially moved and while holding my watch in his trembling hand shared the story of how he and his Navy Buddies spent several days on a life raft after their ship was torpedoed and sunk. They had nothing but a compass, a radio and their 4992B without which they would have perished. He had not seen one of these in the last 60 years but immediately recognized it, explaining how much it meant to him to hold the watch and how it helped him relate the events of their eventual rescue. It was truly moving to hear this man in his eighties speak of heroism in a way few of us can even begin to comprehend. It was quite a day for me.

My friends, we are the caretakers of horological history. We occasionally have opportunities to share our knowledge and love of timepieces with others in our local community. Sometimes we might even touch a heart or two and bring back a memorable event in the process.

Remembering today and every day,

Lindell

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
My sincere thanks to the men and women who served and are serving our nation so well.

In addition, I extend my thanks today to armed forces families. To paraphrase a song popular during 1917-1918 - 'Keep the home fires burning, though your hearts are yearning ... until the boys (and girls) come home.'

Respectfully,

Greg Crockett

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Matthew E. Sutton
posted
June 30, 1942. Salute to our WWII veterans.

Posts: 495 | Location: Kailua, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2005
Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
My mother purchased this picture of "Old Glory" in 1945 while my Dad was serving in the Pacific War on board the USS Titania AKA-13 (Attack Cargo Ship).

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted

1918, in a trench someplace in France.
Michigan National Guardsman, Corp. Harry Deveraux, was serving as a front-line sniper, with Co. M, 125th Inf. 32nd. Red Arrow Div.

While the uniforms have changed, the dedication is the same. A salute to the members of our National Guard serving us far far from home.

Sincerely,

Greg

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002