Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Unusual Hamilton model 21 ... "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member

Picture of Fred R. Hougham
posted
All of the gear train changes would be under the dial, so its very unlikely that any jewel count change was made. When Hamilton made the 24 hour dial units for the Army/Air Force all of the changes were under the dial gearing made to the standard 14 jewel model 21. This caused the winding indicator to work backwards compared to the standard model 21, by the way.
Fred

Posts: 324 | Location: Daytona Beach, Florida USA | Registered: November 29, 2002
Picture of Matthew E. Sutton
posted
I think it would be safe to say that Hamilton would likely not have changed the location of the bit date and wind dials from the basic 4-orbit config. shown in Whitney's because it would have caused a total redesign of the Mod 21. It being a U.S. Navy contract it would have been difficult to change since interchangability and common design was one of Hamiltons most notable achievements.

Posts: 495 | Location: Kailua, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2005
IHC Life Member

posted
Hi all,
For those of you that do not have access to the chronometer books, I've enclosed an extract from one of Whitney's books
Fred

Posts: 324 | Location: Daytona Beach, Florida USA | Registered: November 29, 2002
IHC Life Member

posted
page2

IHC Life Member
posted
Hi.
I own Hamilton Chronometer 4807 with the same layout as 5060, 1903,1209.
Ever since buying it on Ebay, I have scanned the internet for these. A couple of weeks ago 4E019 was lsted for sale on Ebay. I didn't bookmark it. and couple of days later I could not find the listing. My continued search on the internet Paid off! After talking my C.F.O.(wife)into it. I made the purchase. Now of course 4E019 is the correct s/n and this one has the same layout as in Whitney's book. At some point I hope to have a Qualified individual to pull the dials on both 4807 and 4E019 and see if 4807 looks like orginal type work, and document this either way, with Photo's. 4E019's box doesn't look quite like standard Hamilton issue, but I think it is important to remember these chronometers spent about 60 years in the Soviet block and cleaning and adjustments or repairs would be made at thier chronometer factory. I noticed 4E019's minute hand is gold tone like a soviet job. Perhaps Hamilton sent the chronometers only in tubs. We see these come up on the market frequently. Has anyone seen one of these before? The seller said it came out of an observatory in Irkutsk.

4E019

Posts: 8 | Location: Lake Wylie, South Carolina USA | Registered: February 22, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
More PICTURES

Dentaltime

Posts: 8 | Location: Lake Wylie, South Carolina USA | Registered: February 22, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
More pics

Dentaltime

IHC Life Member
posted
No numbers on dial and no damascening on plates.

Dentaltime

IHC Life Member
posted
MVT 12509 dial is one above

Dentaltime

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Welcome Aboard Kenneth,

You have a some beautiful items, congratulations on acquiring them.

About where the box is original, from what I can see of your three examples each of your boxes sure look to be exactly the same as we find on known to be original Model 21 Chronometers. As an example, I have only one but mine is numbered (N) 152 and that number in addition to being on the dial and movement is on plates attached to both the inner and outer boxes.

If that additional number plate is on any of yours it might help in the authentication.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
I own only 4807 and have purchased 4E019 (haven't got it my hands yet) the others are that have come up on sale. I know 4807 doesn't have the # on the box. I am pretty sure the others with the hour orbit at 12 position don't either, not sure about 4E019.

Ken

Dentaltime

IHC Life Member
posted
Movement 4E019

Dentaltime

IHC Life Member
posted
Some guy's have all the Luck! (Bad) Another collector informs me that 4E019 is a FAKE. Well, at least they did a convincing job on this one. Reported the collector has seen the works under the dial, and it is not Hamilton Stuff. I am working on getting my $ back. Perhaps someone will be helped by this. Ken

IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
That is a sad situation Kenneth, it looked like a nice one.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005