Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

"U.S. Army Air Corps" Marked Hamilton 4992B "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I recently found this superb example of a Hamilton 4992B, clearly it is a very early one. Can anyone pin it down to a month and also I note that on the plate marked 4992B it also has “US Army Air Corps” stamped on it. Is this a early run stamp and later dropped in the regular production?

p1

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Case-Back Markings...

P2

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Very sharp 4C-1828 marked "US Army Air Corps" movement...

P3

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Flawless Dial and Hands

P4

posted
great item!

can you show an image of serial number between plates....

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Sorry, old age is setting in, Movement Number 4C1828 On the box it says to service if not used by July 23 1943 which is interesting. As you can see, this watch is in un-issued condition.

p5

posted
Hi Chris,

That is a beautiful example of a 4992B and a great shot of the hack brake by the serial number. Thanks for posting.

Rob

Posts: 580 | Location: Kingsport, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: November 26, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
The pictures came out well, was just aiming to get the Ser No in but a bonus! Can anyone get the dates to a month?

posted
If you make a request to the Library, they can give you some detailed information on the movement.

It is in Book 365 of the Hamilton Ledgers. Some condensed information from the "Handwritten" serial number book published by Roy Ehrhardt gives:

4C001 was finished 11-13-41 and sold 2-16-42
4C15500 was finished 1-22-43 and sold 1-22-43 [the same day]

the contract numbers are 64-95096 and 64-8423 respectively

posted
Chris,

As I stated above, your example is very nice and has some features I had not noticed before...

1. "US Army Air Corps" marking

2. Font of the "Adjusted 6 Positions"

I have the opinion the unusual 'adjusted' marking was a 'get by' procedure, as the bridge for the center seconds arbor would have covered the standard style marking seen on early commercially sold 992B movements. You will see the standard marking on the 992B movements with US Army on them also.

When the marking location on later examples was changed, they used the standard stamping dies for this mark.

posted
I also have the outer box for this one.......notice how the box is marked Air Force?

There was a change in the Military but I cannot speak with authority on this...

posted
But this one was 'good' until '46 Wink

posted
pic of case back.... not as good as yours!

Picture of Stu Goldstein
posted
"The Army Air Corps became a subordinate element of the Army Air Forces June 20, 1941. Since the Army Air Corps had been established by statute in 1926, its disestablishment required an act of Congress, which did not take place until 1947. Between March 9, 1942 and Sept 18, 1947, the Army Air Corps continued to exist as a combatant arm, and personnel of the Army Air Forces were still assigned to the Army Air Corps."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U...ates_Army_Air_Forces

Stu Goldstein

Posts: 355 | Location: Northern Idaho in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 26, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thanks for all the replies, most useful and was very interested to see the change in font and marking in later models and the air corps change over also. Please continue to add more if anyone can.

Chris A

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Now that we have a "Military Timepieces Forum" we moved this interesting topic here from our "Pocket Watch Discussions" area. I'm pleased to report the very early 4992B numbered 4C1828 under discussion at the top of this topic is now in my collection. What an amazing example it is!

Here is more information about it based upon the Hamilton Ledgers in Columbia...

"Hamilton 4992B number 4C1828 was finished on July 23, 1942 and sold the same day to Code Number 64-0964 which is a government code."

That clearly explains the "July 23, 1943" service recommendation on the box! Now, if we could determine what "64-0964" was that might prove very interesting. Please post any comments or additional information below.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I know this thread is a bit old but when I came across it I joined your forum just to post this. This watch was my wife's uncle' s watch. He was in the Army Air Corps in WWII. He carried it from the time of his service till his death in 1971. It was given to me by my father-in-law in 1974 and I carried it for 5 or 6 years and them put it away. It is 7 serial numbers before Chris Abell's watch. What I always wondered about was the the number "4" ahead of the "992B". I don't know if you can tell or not but the 4 has no black in it and it isn't struck near as deep as the other numbers, almost as though it was an after thought.

Posts: 4 | Location: Depauw, Indiana U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2005
posted
The back of the case...

Posts: 4 | Location: Depauw, Indiana U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2005
posted
Whew! Those are close numbers!! Thanks for posting it!

Here are some tidbits I have discovered...

Contract w535 AC22375..... From 1942, but no indications of time of year....

Sold to:
Finance Officer
US Navy
Wright Field
Dayton Ohio

Shipped to:
Quartermaster
Fairfield Air Depot
Osborn, Ohio
For Air Corps Supply Officer

755 4992B watches, navigation master, 50-079 @ 29.45 each
3040 4992B watches, navigation master, 50-079 @ 29.45 each

*** from other entries, it seems the 50-079 is a dial reference....