Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Crystal Regulator "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I acquired this at an auction yesterday. I believe it is an Ansonia "Prism", 1914. It is 10.75 inches tall. I have not cleaned it up yet, but it is in running condition.

The dial has "J B Co" and not Ansonia. I am thinking it is a private label dial. Does anyone have an idea who the J B Co. might be?

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The movement looks to me to be an Ansonia, although there are no marking on it.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The dial, showing the mystery trademark.

Tom

posted
Looks like a keeper, Tom. Haven't seen that mark before. Would it be listed by Tran somewhere?

Good buy!

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004
posted
For what it's worth the dial and the rack and snail being on the back plate look like a New Haven I have.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
The mainsprings appear to be in cups rather than barrels which is also a New Haven feature. At least I THINK I see screws securing the cups!!

Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
John,
I looked up the two movements in Tran's books. They are very very close as shown in the picture below.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Here is a blowup of the movement picture of mine. It matches the Ansonia movement, although, as I have said, there are no markings on it.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Yes John, you have good eyes!!! The springs are in cups rather than barrels. Any additional thoughts on it would be appreciated. Thanks for comments, it sent me running to my books.

Does your New Haven movemnt look like the one in the picture above?

Tom

posted
Tom,

On closer inspection I can see that the rack has a counterweight to drop it against the snail. The New Haven I worked on had a spring to do this. As I recall the spring was a pain to connect. Can I change my vote to Ansonia? Smile Wink

Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
posted
Tom,
here's a picture of the movement in my Ansonia Crystal Regulator which also has a visible ecsapement. My clock is dated 1916.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Here's the dial on mine.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Thanks Dave. I am sure, now we mine is an Ansonia with a private label on the dial. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Joe, It was a good thing you marked that ballot in pencil! Something we all have to do!

Tom

Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Tom:
Great find, and the dial looks perfect! Did you have much competition at the auction?
gp

Grant Perry

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
posted
Nice clock Tom, i like those open escapement clocks.Perhaps a future clock for me to collect.

IHC Member 43
posted
Tom, How about Jennings Bros., The had alot of smaller novelty clocks with their name on them, but I have never seen a crystal regulator by them, but that doesn't mean much, something new every day.......

Curly

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Grant,
There was a good deal of spirited bidding. Lots of clock/watch people there. It was well advertised.

Curly,
That sounds as good as anything I have come up with. Hopefully someone will have seen the trade mark somewhere before.

Kevin, these are very nice clocks. I have a few with open escapements, they are always a nice touch.

Tom

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Tom,
I have a very similar clock to this, without the open escapement on the dial. It must be the New Haven one, as the movement matches the one in the b/w picture for NH. There is no marking on it anywhere except it does say New Haven on the dial, but that is covered by the outer ring so you can't see it. I thought maybe someone changed the dial, but now I suppose it is original. It came with an old key that has Kroeber on it, so I thought maybe the clock was by Kroeber. I have had it for a long time, and I know they are making new Kroeber keys now, but I'm sure mine is old. I'll put some pictures on here when I can get them developed and scanned.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Looking forward to those pictures Andy.

Tom

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Finally got the pictures taken and scanned. I believe this is a New Haven. Not sure if you can see the key has Kroeber on it.

Andy

NewHavenFront.jpg

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Rear

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Movement.

New Haven Movement

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Andy,
That is a very nice clock. The movement does look like a New Haven. I will have to do some exploring in the book to see if I can track down the model.

How tall is it?

Tom

posted
Nice clock Andy.I like the glass around it and you can see the workings of the clock.I really like the pendulums in these also.

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
I'm not home now, but I think it is roughly 10" or 11" tall. I also have a similar Seth Thomas one that is rough. I should probably sell it. Someone robbed the fancy nuts from off the pendulum. Do you know where I could get them? I thought about buying a new mercury pendulum just to see if they were the same. They would probably work, but the threads might be different. I'll have to dig it out and take pictures of it too.

Andy

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Hi Tom,
There is a JB Co in New York named Joseph Bennett? Their trademark is listed in a 1915 book I have, but I can't see yours good enough to tell if they are the same.

It also states that they are out of business in the 1915 book, so it may be considered if yours is that old, and there is also a Jacobson Bros. listed too, so maybe a larger trademark would help.
Sheila

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Sheila,
Here is a close up of the lettering on the dial.
Hopefully this will match something someone else has seen.

Tom

posted
In Ehrhardt's book, it's listed in the clock section as,

Jennings Brothers. Mfg. Co.
Bridgeport, Co.

Sheila

JBCp

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Thanks Sheila. Which of Erhardt's books did you find that in?

Tom

posted
The Trademark is on page 82 of Ehrhardt's book.

"Trademarks, Watch Cases, Pocket Watches, Precious Stones, Diamonds"

Sheila

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Thanks Sheila. That is one book I don't have.
But...Christmas is coming.... Big Grin

Tom

posted
Hello - J B Co was a retailer located in Bridgeport, Connecticut near around 1910 and perhaps a little later. Jennings Brothers Company produced a multitude of clocks all with movements made by local manufacturers. Usually their clocks had their name stamped on the bottom of the case "JBC". Hope this helps! Bill

William N. McCormick

Posts: 6 | Location: Central Florida in the USA | Registered: May 10, 2011