• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Kroeber Clock? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I bought this purely because of curiosity. It stands 35 inches tall and 18 inches wide. It is a cuckoo with a music box. The notes that came with it says that it is a Kroeber marked "11" and that the movement may be from Phelps & Bartholomew. The fretwork is wonderful. I do not know what you would call the clock. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
posted
In trying to research this, I find that there is a Kroeber and a Kroeger clock company. The paper with this says that it is a Kroeber. The music box is behind the double doors on the bottom level.

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
posted
I have not had this apart yet. I do believe that the dial is a replacement with the fact that the numerals eight and four have been moved rather than being drilled through.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Ken, I've researched these somewhat. I believe it has an 8 day Waterbury movement.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
Dave, can you site an example of a clock like this and its movement? I don't see a Waterbury that matches up with this.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
I'm not certain, but I think this example is close.
Although, the count wheel position has me wondering.

http://www.antiqueclockspriceg...ls.php?clockid=32136

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 43
posted
Looks similar to me, the different count wheel and hammer wheel are probably modifications for cuckoo call on this movement. My opinion until I see one that is signed. Good work Dave you might earn another stripe on your detective badge.

Curly

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Ha!
Thanks Curly, that stripe and $4.50 will get me a cup of coffee. Wink

Dave Turner

posted
While I can see the similarity I would question the fact that both clocks are cuckoo clocks so why would the count wheel setup on mine be a modification for the cuckoo call? Perhaps two different companies used a Waterbury movement and chose different ways to modify it. I will check further and provide more pictures when I get around to working on this clock.