• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Unusual and very nice Atmos Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This Atmos is fairly rare. I do not think it was made in the 1920's even with that low serial number. If it is early enough, the clock should not have bellows but have a tilting barametric tube with mercury. Does anyone have any particulars on this clock?
I suppose you watch guys are saying that is an awful lot of money for a broken clock, right?
I expect this to go lots higher.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2206756872&category=3929&rd=1

Best regards,
Dick Feldman

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
I have read a little about the early Atmos clocks in the Torsion Times, the newsletter for Chapter 168. I even have a booklet on them somewhere. I believe they first introduced the Atmos in about 1935-1937 or so, and I think the first ones had a movement by Reutters (?). I think they had problems with the early Mercury tube models, but I have seen them on ebay that were suppose to still be working. I believe the glass tubes were enclosed in the drum on the back like the one shown now on ebay. I think they said only a small number were made the first 5 years or so. I am just an observer you understand, I saw the clock and wondered why it only had one bid for so long. The current high bidder has bought a lot of the better ones the last few years. There is also another early one on ebay now. I like looking at the pictures of them at least. I am just guessing this one is from the late 30's to early 40's, and has the bellows.

Here is the other one I mentioned. Not a bad price, if you feel comfortable dealing with a brand new seller located in France.

Andy.

The International 400 Day Clock Chapter 168.

The Internet Horology Chapter 185 nawcc-ihc.org

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
I found my booklet on the Atmos clocks, "Living on Air" by Jean Lebet, 1997. Nice little book on these clocks. Just glancing through it, I see that the idea was first patented (Deutsches Reich no. 84858) in 1894 by C. Paganini, but Jean-Leon Reutter simplified it and patented his ammonia and Mercury motor for it in 1928. They started production in 1930 after making a number of prototypes. In 1932 or 1933, they started using the LeCoultre movement. The first catalog was in 1931 and offered 19 different style cases, and over the next few years brought out more styles. Annual production in the early years was between 1,000 and 2,000. The Atmos II (with bellows replacing the glass tubes) was brought out in 1936. They had problems, and it was 1939 before real production could begin.

The book shows a drawing and explanation of how the mercury and ammonia motor worked. It was like a thermometer with two bulbed ends connected by a lower thin tube. One side was in an insulated part of the drum, and when the temperature changed, it would cause the drum to pivot from one side to the other. This wound the mainspring. The problem they had was damage to the fragile glass during shipping. So they replaced this with the bellows.

Considering the price of a new Atmos, and the rarity of the early ones, maybe the one that just sold on ebay was a bargain?

Andy

The International 400 Day Clock Chapter 168.
The Internet Horology Chapter 185 nawcc-ihc.org

posted
Andy and all,

I sure agree with you on the selling price on that Atmos. If the serial number is actually 4779, as claimed, the following quote from Mike Murray's web page should apply.

"Did you know that to date Atmos has had seven (7)
different Caliber #'s (model #'s)? Also, the earliest date I have recorded is Jan. 16, 1942 and the latest date is Jan. 13, 1993! For the history buffs the Atmos was first mass marketed
in the year 1936 and called the model "Classique -B1". If you have one with a serial number under 9,000 then it is this production model and I would love to "steal" it from you."

I would assume the buyer on this ebay auction got a great deal. I would still be curious to know if the clock in question has a bellows or the rocking barametric tube.

Best Regards,

Dick Feldman

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
I thought this message from the other board should be added to this message. It shows pictures of not only the case of a very early Atmos clock from 1933, but it also shows the very first style mercury tube "motor" as well as the early movement. The mercury moved in the glass tube (like a thermometer) to wind the clock. This was very fragile, so they soon changed to the bellows system they are still using. With the drum on, they both look the same from the outside.

1933 Atmos

Andy Big Grin

So many clocks, so little time.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Atmos clocks are cool!

Here's my question for everyone reading this. A few months ago I happened on one absolutely new, with box and papers. It has never been set up. I bought it to set up and use because I find them fascinating. However, some of the "clock guys" suggest it should remain in the box to retain and escalate the value. Any suggestions on this?

Signed,

"Confused in Cleveland"

Big Grin Roll Eyes Confused

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Lindell,

Personally I would set it up, and keep all the paperwork, tags, wrapping etc. Think of the value of seeing it rather than having it stored away somewhere in a box. I doubt there would be much difference in the value of mint in box or if has been removed. I go to some estate sales and see a few things the original owner left boxed up and never used. Kind of sad, who were they saving it for?

Andy

So many clocks, so little time.

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...Andy is right on with that advice...this old clock guy (like olde clocks and I'm old) seconds his motion to set it up and save the ephemera...Lindell be "fascinated"!!!

Jim
IHC#234

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
IHC Member 43
posted
Lindell, I agree fully with Andy and Jim, keep the paperwork and box and place the clock somewhere and you can enjoy it. What's the use of having it stuck away in a box for no one to see?

Curly

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
and take a picture once displayed and show to us... Smile

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003