WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

I some info on this unusual Clock BRASS {Ships???} "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
This is a clock that a local shop called me up to take a look at. It appears to be made for a ship. The case is made of brass. with this very heavy mounting ring. It has no way of winding it. You can unscrew the front bezel. But does not have a way to wind it from there either. It must be a automatic movement of some sorts.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Here is the 2nd photo

IHC Life Member
posted
3rd

IHC Life Member
posted
4th

posted
Here is a link to a completed EBay auction for a similar clock. It is a car clock and is called a "rim wind" so I guess it is wound by the knurled ring next to the bezel. I found another auction which said the clock is wound by turning the ring in one direction and the time is set by turning it in the other direction.

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
Picture of Paul Adams
posted
General Motors in the 40's and 50's had similar models which were actually mounted in the steering wheel attached to the wheel spokes. Later 50's models, such as the Oldsmobile Rocket 88 had "self winding" ones with a cut out window which allowed you to see the swinging weight move back and forth which actually "wound" the clock as you drove. There were quite a few in the "junkyards" of the 60's. Wish I had taken the time to get a classy steering wheel with one of them. Be great to have today!

Posts: 181 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
This must of been the later ones. Because it is not bezel wind.

posted
Are you certain that this is not a rim wind clock? Phinney-Walker made a number of different rim wind movements. Can you turn the rim both ways?

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Yes if you turn it counterclockwise it comes off the case. Then you can turn it clockwise to screw it back on.

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
It's an "eight day" movement which means it is manual wind. Perhaps it's wound all the way up ? When you say it comes off the case when it is screwed counterclockwise, is the "knurled" part made into the bezel as in one piece and does it come off as one piece with that bezel ??

Interesting small clock.....The brass case is typical of a water vessel clock that may have been set in a small boat steering wheel. It looks military style....

What do they value it at or what's it priced at ??

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
The bezel holds the glass ONLY!

It does not. Wind the movement.

The owners asked me to look at it. They acted like it was something that was close to there heart.
They said thy was wanting to get it fix. After I spent about an hour of my time. They informed me that they where just wanting to get it fix so they could sell it to make a lot of money on eBay.

So I informed them it was $80 to $100. To get it fixed. After they heard the price. I did not even get to take the movement out to check it out

I did not even bother to see if. They did list it.