• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

MY HOME-BUILT PILLAR AND SCROLL CLOCK "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Below is the Pillar and Scroll I built and gifted it to my employer at that time of my life. After building the clock, I just had to write a poem about this accomplishment.

The clock was crafted less than 3/4 size of the usual model Pillar and Scroll. I made the dial and had someone do the reverse tablet painting. I even have some painted tablets I did myself. I was much better doing landscapes in regular oils on canvas. I just had a 10" table saw, jig saw, and a cheap home made lathe.

Below are 3 posts that are self explanatory. The poem has the actual clock in color.

The wood for all my home-made built clocks is African Striped Mahogany. The wood below the finials is veneered Birds Eye Maple. The spandrels I hand painted and the dial was copied, honestly, I forgot how, I think through offset and camera work.

Posts: 391 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: April 20, 2006
posted
The printed label pasted inside the clock. If I remember correctly, the seal is the State of Pennsylvania

Posts: 391 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: April 20, 2006
posted
The Ode to a Pillar and Scroll Clock with the clock in its finished color.

The movement is a Seth Thomas store bought spring wound hour and half hour strike.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Danny, you never cease to amaze. Eek

You've been there and done things that others only dream of. Cool

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Outstanding!! One talented guy!!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Dan,
Very impressive work. In my opinion it's the supporting documentation that takes it to 5 stars!!
I would have loved to have seen the striped mahogany , you stateside guys are so lucky in the choice available to you and at a reasonable cost. Striped mahogany I regard as very rare. I found a small piece of it some years ago and incorporated into the edge of a table top.
Is wood working your first love (after cats)?

Peter
uk

Posts: 110 | Location: Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK | Registered: June 03, 2006