Internet Horology Club 185
MY HOME-BUILT PILLAR AND SCROLL CLOCK

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886029761/m/8471084232

February 11, 2007, 11:58
Daniel M. Weiss
MY HOME-BUILT PILLAR AND SCROLL CLOCK
Below is the Pillar and Scroll I built and gifted it to my employer at that time of my life. After building the clock, I just had to write a poem about this accomplishment.

The clock was crafted less than 3/4 size of the usual model Pillar and Scroll. I made the dial and had someone do the reverse tablet painting. I even have some painted tablets I did myself. I was much better doing landscapes in regular oils on canvas. I just had a 10" table saw, jig saw, and a cheap home made lathe.

Below are 3 posts that are self explanatory. The poem has the actual clock in color.

The wood for all my home-made built clocks is African Striped Mahogany. The wood below the finials is veneered Birds Eye Maple. The spandrels I hand painted and the dial was copied, honestly, I forgot how, I think through offset and camera work.

February 11, 2007, 12:01
Daniel M. Weiss
The printed label pasted inside the clock. If I remember correctly, the seal is the State of Pennsylvania

February 11, 2007, 12:05
Daniel M. Weiss
The Ode to a Pillar and Scroll Clock with the clock in its finished color.

The movement is a Seth Thomas store bought spring wound hour and half hour strike.

February 11, 2007, 14:06
Lindell V. Riddle

Danny, you never cease to amaze. Eek

You've been there and done things that others only dream of. Cool

Wink

February 11, 2007, 20:16
Tom Seymour
Outstanding!! One talented guy!!

Tom
February 13, 2007, 16:37
Peter Blunsdon
Dan,
Very impressive work. In my opinion it's the supporting documentation that takes it to 5 stars!!
I would have loved to have seen the striped mahogany , you stateside guys are so lucky in the choice available to you and at a reasonable cost. Striped mahogany I regard as very rare. I found a small piece of it some years ago and incorporated into the edge of a table top.
Is wood working your first love (after cats)?

Peter
uk