• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Anglo American Clock Co. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi all, I recently acquired this clock that I believe to be by the Anglo American Clock Co. Can anyone tell me anything about this company and approximatly when this kind of clock was produced?
I think the movement is a New Haven and I haven't found time to redo it yet. It's only this clean because I doused it with Brake Cleaner to get the majority of the gunk off. Any best way to remove the GOLD PAINT from the plates? Mike

Posts: 124 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2009
posted

posted

posted

posted

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Well I can't help you on the movement stripping Michael, but I will say this Smile

That's as pretty a inlaid/veneered/carved case as I have seen anywhere without being on the side of gaudy Cool

I would hope there may be a porcelain dial upgrade and a beveled glass door to make this one dynamite wall clock Big Grin

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Thanks, Buster for the kind words. I plan on a good clean up of the case and Lindell put me on to the Dial House lady for a repaint of the original dial pan. Thanks again Lindell. Mike

posted
Hi Mike.The Anglo-American clocks had English cases and American movements.They had labels inside that said"Anglo American Clocks for use at Home and Abroad".No movement genuine without manufacturers trademark.Here is one I completely rebuilt.New octagon head,new veneer and repaint on dial.The Dial House does awesome work.Martha has several for me.Picture is not the greatest and not near as nice as yours,but as a woodworker I enjoyed doing the work.

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
posted
Hi Norman, Thanks for your reply. Your wood working is really nice. I would never be able to redo a case like that. Is there any way you could photograph the label so I might know what they look like? Mike
ps. Your photo confirmed what I had hoped. I had a Japanese clock with this pendulum bob and when I got the A A I thought it might have a Japanese movement in it. Come to find out ,the Japanese clock has an Anglo american bob.

posted
Good Morning Mike,Give me a day or so and I'll take mine off the wall,disassemble it and take more pictures.Your movement looks American.Look for a trademark on the plates.Mine is a New Haven.Some had E.N Welch movements,some Seth Thomas.I think most American clockmakers sent movements to England to be installed in these clocks.Try soaking your movement in mineral spirits to remove the paint from the plates.I'd do it outside or in a well ventilated area.Good clock cleaning solution should work also.

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
posted
Hi Mike,A few more pictures.taken in a hurry so aren't the best.

posted
Another one

posted
Another

posted
BACK VIEW.

posted
another view.

posted
BACKSIDE OF DIAL.IT'S A REPLACEMENT THAT WAS ALREADY ON THE CLOCK.

posted
New haven movement.

posted
this is the label.Kind of hard to make it out.Very difficult to get a good picture.Not many clocks this old still have a full label.

posted
Thanks for the pictures , Norman. I appreciate the trouble. I'm not sure what my movement is. The only mark on it it the 10 which I assume is the pendulum length.

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Hi,
Just a few thoughts on that clock.

I have never seen a movement with paint on it, but some have lots of grease, oil and other stuff. Good old home oil jobs!

I just serviced a clock really similar to this one of yours. I never could find a maker of the movement or case. It had great inlays on it just like this. I finally came to the conclusion that it was a Japanese clock. They were really good at copying movements in the late 1800s.

But you really need to disassemble the movement and soak the parts to really clean it up good. A cheap but good solution I have found is Simple Green if your only doing this clock. Then rinse and clean each part and dry them well so there is no rust. A hair dryer works good.

You have a really nice clock.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007