Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

6 Navy Clocks, how do I date and find vessel? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1736
posted
I have one of these from my old navy days. I've been after a Mark I Deck Clock since I saw one profiled here at IHC185.

The rest are interesting in their own right.

This one has a 6" dia 24hr dial with seconds hand and yellow numbers.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted
This one has a 8-1/2" dia 24hr dial and wrong seconds hand.

Navy Assigned Stock Control Number: 49643E Chelsea Serial Number: 439166 (this serial number works out to 1944 production.)

Replaced seconds hand with correct model identical to the one in the photo above.

Completed COA 1-22-2015 Keeps time within a couple seconds per day.

Chelsea seconds hands have a clutch built in to the stem tube. This allows the stem tube to oscillate with the gear train 5 times per second without having to speed up and slow down the mass/inertia of the entire seconds hand with each catch and release of the escapement. It took a couple emails and some head scratching to figure out the seconds hand clutch on my replacement hand was frozen up and causing the escapement to bog down when the seconds hand was installed. A very simple fix once I understood what to look for.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted
This clock dial is only 2-3/4" dia.

The brass case has asymmetrical mounting tabs with a small indexing pin on the back.

The bezel screws on/off, the hands are pinned

Chelsea - Ball Watch Company Serial Number: 30766

Reply from Chelsea Watch Co: According to our manufacturing log book, serial number 30766 was sold to Ball Watch Company on October 12, 1907, and is listed as a 2 3/4″ automobile clock. Unfortunately, this is all the information available for this serial number. Thanks!

Really nice clock.

I need a seconds hand if anyone has any recommendations.

Check out the completed project here: https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6029761/m/7773962487

IHC Member 1736
posted
This one is GE clock with a 5-5/8" dia dial

I didn't know GE was a player in this market.

New info: GE held the patent on the case, the clock is actually a Seth.

IHC Member 1736
posted
Larger Seth Thomas with an 8-5/8" dia dial

The fancy numerals really stand out. All the numbers and markings are engraved and filled with gloss black enamel in perfect condition.

IHC Member 1736
posted
And, the cat's meow!

This Mark I Deck Clock has a 5-1/4 dia dial.

Serial number: 12307 with the naval observatory mark.

The case on this clock is impressive. It opens like a portal and has a second slider under the inside back plate to open windows to adjust the time, wind the clock and "stop" function, all accessed from the back side rather than under the front bezel.

Ya'll can talk me out of the others...but this one isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

IHC Member 1736
posted
and, the back side

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Nice clocks Paul! I have had my eye on some similar clocks for a while. You have just upped my stress level. Big Grin

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Member 1016
posted
Paul, nice stuff! The Chelsea clocks can usually be traced back to the ship builder if you send Chelsea the SN. They do not know which ship usually. I'll try and send a link to an answer they gave me.
Mine is brass with a Six Inch dial dating to 1942 and not too much later they went to the "plastic" type case. I therefore surmised that it was from a Liberty Ship as they pre dated the Victory Ships.
http://www.chelseaclock.com/bl...art-two#comment-7879

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
Here is my Boat Clock with the bulkhead plate in tact. The Deck Clocks and Boat Clocks are the same movement and there are repair manuals and some parts still available.
After re-reading your narrative it is apparent you have the bulkhead plate. These are harder to come by than you might think. Enjoy it.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
My oldest Chelsea is from (if I remember correctly) 1911. It is a 4 1/2 inch Ship's Bell. Yours, that needs a second hand, is also very old. These were made before "platform escapements" and are delicate indeed. Note the absence of a turn-off for the bell and the adjustment at the top of the dial.

IHC Member 1736
posted
Mike,

Thank you for the Chelsea link. Now I need a Ship's bell.

I am familiar with the Chelsea clocks as these were throughout the spaces in the submarines I served on. I find it interesting that two of these are Seth Thomas (including the deck clock) and that one is General Electric.

My deck clock does indeed have the back plate and is in excellent condition. It is a full plate rather than a flange and has a natural white rubber gasket that has long since dried out, but is still in place.

I really like that Chelsea has a line of "in house" restorations available for resale.

IHC Member 1016
posted
Apparently during WWII the specs for these clocks were the same regardless of the manufacturer. Since they were government contracts they were manufactured by several companies with no apparent significant differences in quality. My thought is Seth Thomas or Chelsea, if made 1940-1945, is a matter of preference. I'd say Chelsea wins out in desirability though.

IHC Member 1736
posted
Point of clarification.

It turns out that the GE clock is actually a Seth Thomas.

GE owns the patent for the Bakelite cases and they are still available for purchase.

IHC Member 1016
posted
Paul, here's my Chelsea Clairmont. I didn't get a before photo but it was corroded with years of dust and probably tobacco smoke. I did a pretty major cosmetic overhaul and enjoy its "ship's bell" chime every 1/2 hour. Weighs about 10 lbs.!

IHC Member 1736
posted
I like the coordinated weather station...

I have a couple pocket watch COA's to get out for a client... then will dive in to the world of clocks for a couple weeks.

IHC Member 1016
posted
They are bigger than watches! That sounds obvious, but when you collect a few, you get the idea.