WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

2.75" Chelsea - Ball Watch Co brass cased "automobile" or "Yacht" clock "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1736
posted
I ran serial number 30766 through Chelsea and they were able to tell me this clock was sold to Ball Watch Co on October 12th 1907.

I found a 1905 add for the Chelsea Automobile clock with roman numerals and a simple round case with full circumference mounting flange at the base.

This clock appears to have Ball's preferred dial layout and a purpose built two ear case (I presume designed to be bolted to a metal bulkhead rather than a dash)

Does anyone have Ball Watch Co sales records? Answers at this link - https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6047761/m/7863982487

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted
Interesting ad from 1905

I can find quite a few examples of the square cased clocks, but nothing like this one out there.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted
I was introduced to Ron B., an old Chelsea Clock restorer who was able to build a seconds hand and source a main spring for this "K" series clock.

Thankfully, the gear train is in excellent condition and only needed a thorough cleaning.

IHC Member 1736
posted
The gear train layout is fascinating.

It defies reason how they make the transition from the absolutely robust main floor gear train and jump upstairs to what amounts to an 18s escapement and balance regulator system. My reading indicates this escapement was developed and made under contract with A.M. Waltham.

Beautiful in the simplicity, all the pivots are polished to a mirror finish and cleaned up like new.

IHC Member 1736
posted
I have no idea how many of these were built for Ball, nor, who Ball's market might have been.

Any chance these had a career on or near the rails?

IHC Member 1736
posted
This is what she looked like before I cleaned it... it only gets better from there.

I added this photo to show how the torque and power from the floor get upstairs to the escape.

In a full plate 18s the pallet fork makes that transition.

Here, there is a reduction gear on a long shaft that makes the transition.

IHC Member 1736
posted
The best I can estimate is that this clock was cased for an industrial or yachting application. Since I couldn't afford a yacht, I snagged an old plank from the boat yard I do business with and had some fun with the display.

IHC Member 1736
posted
I found these RR Spike book ends at a county fair in St. Louis back in '91

So far, looks like she is keeping time within a minute or two a week. Ron B. tells me this is great for this model and not to chase it out beyond that.

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
I like the plank idea a lot .

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011