Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What is medaille d'argent clock 1855 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
My daughter inherited this from my recently passed Aunt Elfriede's estate. I remember it doing it's thing on the Fireplace mantel when I stayed with her during my "Cornell Days" in the late 1950's. It seems to be in good shape. Is it worth servicing? The embossed stuff say;
medaille d'argent 1855, etc.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Hi David,looks like you have a very nice French clock.Medaille d"Argent means "Silver Medal".If you can post a few more close ups of the movement,any trade marks,etc.maybe I can identify the maker.Looks like a Marti.When I was collecting clocks I restored quite a few of these.It will run 8 days and strike the hours.Some also strike on the half hour.Definetley worth serviceing.Clock is in my opinion,a "Keeper".Regards.Norm

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Norman the stamp says "Vincenti et Cie" A bigger picture of that mark shown below.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Hi David,One of the top French makers.Like I said,definetley a keeper.I'm sure there are clock makers in the club that will service it for you.If all the pivots and main springs are good it is a fairly simple job for a clock maker that works on French clocks.Working on them is what turned me to pocket watches.They have small pivots and are easily broken.A clock maker told me if I could learn to do French clocks I could work on watches.Did better on clocks but didn't do too bad on either for being self taught.Regards and good luck with the clock.Norm

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010