Internet Horology Club 185
What is medaille d'argent clock 1855

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886029761/m/7253935387

October 04, 2014, 14:39
David Abbe
What is medaille d'argent clock 1855
My daughter inherited this from my recently passed Aunt Elfriede's estate. I remember it doing it's thing on the Fireplace mantel when I stayed with her during my "Cornell Days" in the late 1950's. It seems to be in good shape. Is it worth servicing? The embossed stuff say;
medaille d'argent 1855, etc.

October 04, 2014, 15:17
Norman Mayberry
Hi David,looks like you have a very nice French clock.Medaille d"Argent means "Silver Medal".If you can post a few more close ups of the movement,any trade marks,etc.maybe I can identify the maker.Looks like a Marti.When I was collecting clocks I restored quite a few of these.It will run 8 days and strike the hours.Some also strike on the half hour.Definetley worth serviceing.Clock is in my opinion,a "Keeper".Regards.Norm
October 08, 2014, 11:22
David Abbe
Norman the stamp says "Vincenti et Cie" A bigger picture of that mark shown below.

October 08, 2014, 17:18
Norman Mayberry
Hi David,One of the top French makers.Like I said,definetley a keeper.I'm sure there are clock makers in the club that will service it for you.If all the pivots and main springs are good it is a fairly simple job for a clock maker that works on French clocks.Working on them is what turned me to pocket watches.They have small pivots and are easily broken.A clock maker told me if I could learn to do French clocks I could work on watches.Did better on clocks but didn't do too bad on either for being self taught.Regards and good luck with the clock.Norm