• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

OK here's another I like but "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I don't like it when it is a mismatch, which from the description it sounds put together. Value Range please....tell me to stop if I'm causing too much work. Neat looking clock though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2162392783&category=3929

Posts: 175 | Location: Claremore, Oklahoma USA | Registered: January 03, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Ricky this is a neat one. There were a couple of comments that cause concern, as you've picked up on.

The ad says that the "clock has been reconstructed". I'm not sure what they mean by that.

It also says that the dials have been repainted before. It is hard to tell from the picture whether they are the original dials or reproductions.

The clock does look right. If the dials are repros they do match the original design. The case matches the pictures in the cataloques. I think that they are going somewhere around the $1.500.00 range. give or take a bit.

Without seeing this one in person I would be a little worried because some of the wording in the descriptions.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 43
posted
Just my .02 worth, I have been watching the auctions from this seller for some time now and have found that most of what he sells appears to be chinese reproductions. I have seen this seller and other sellers which also sell the same type of merchandise have the seth thomas calender movements for sale. I have not see on personally, but would assume (??) that they are chinese reproductions. This in itself is not bad, in my opinion if they are sold as such and priced accordingly. I have bought a few in the past and while the quality is not that of an original, I like the style and the chance of my owning one is probably somewhere between slim and none. I seem to also recall that this seller has changed his alias a few times in the past couple of years, kinda makes you wonder when that happens

thanks, Curl

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Curl, Thanks for the heads up on that seller. I went back and looked at the clock again. This time I looked more carefully at the movement and the one shown in the picture is NOT the one that would have been used in a Fashion.

I've not seen the chinese repros. The outside of the case looks pretty good in the picture. As you said, if sold as a repro, and priced accordingly it is not a bad looking clock.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
I get the impression the time movement is an original and the calendar movement may be a reproduction. The seller as much as says so.

That one is essentially "put together" from parts is it not?

Lindell

Roll Eyes

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The time movement is definitely not original. That movement would not be used in a Fashion.
The one in the photo looks like a 44E. The Fashion Movement is an 86 type and would be marked "Fashion" , "Seth Thomas" and, "Southern Clock Company" that produced the Fashion models.

I can't see the calendar movement well enough to tell. But based on everything else, I would suspect that it is also a repro.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

fashion mvt

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
pic2

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

close up