Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Kundo 400 Day Clock Base "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephen L. Carey
posted
I am restoring this clock, I need to refurbish or find a new base. It is a 1951 version of the Kundo, clock. The base does not have levelers. The holes are a bit odd; 2 ¾ 2 ¼ 2 ¼ the dome size would be 5 ¼ diameter the base is 7 6/8 which seems a bit odd in itself. This may not be the original base. The brass is severely cracked. I need to find the proper base for this model. Kundo Standard. Any help would be great, thank you.

Posts: 35 | Location: Jacksonville Florida in the USA | Registered: August 28, 2007
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Stephen,
I have several I would like to look through, but they are burried under boxes in garage, and I don't know when I will be able to get to them. If you are not in a hurry, then maybe I could help you out. We just moved and the unpacking has only begun.

They can usually be had fairly cheaply at flea markes and antique shows or auctions.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thank you that would be very helpful. This is my own little project and I am in no hurry. I sympathize with your moving adventure. I have moved once in the last 15 years. It was enough for me. If I find one, I will let you know. Thank you again.

Posts: 35 | Location: Jacksonville Florida in the USA | Registered: August 28, 2007
posted
Lidell thought it was good idea to attach photos of the project, this is the base. As you can see it is very much damaged.

posted
Another photo of the base

posted
the project

posted
Besides Spelling Lindells name wrong my english is very poor as well. Sorry folks Eek

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
That looks like a good project Stephen. Have you worked on these before?

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Nope Smile

posted
I just started in Clock and Watch repair. I read a lot of articles took some DVD lessons and bought some basic tools. I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering that helps. I find this to be easy for me something that comes natural, that and a love for clocks and anything else that keeps time. Of course I said the same thing about the Violin when I started playing 2 years ago. I still play, but it was tougher than I thought. However, I am never one to give up and I hope o retire in a couple of years and do this full time. Hope I do better at repair than I play. Smile

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Stephen,
You will have fun with clock repair. the basic mechanics are not difficult, and with a little study and some mechanical inclination you will do just fine. It is very satisfying to have a clock running when you finish that was not running beforehand.

The specialized part of these movements is the suspension. There are a myriad of strengths of these springs, and the spacing of the end blocks and the fork is critical. THE book to use for this is 400 day book by the Horoloval Co.. Originally by Charles Terwilliger. New additions have been printed since his death, and the company is now owned by Bill Ellison. I have a copy of the book if you need help when you get to this point.

Plate identification sheets indicate the correct suspension spring. There are full size diagrams of the suspension that pinpoint the locations of the blocks and the fork.

It is a great project.. Have fun!

Tom

posted
I already have the book, one of the first things I bought, thank you. Micrometers and Vernier calipers, I already had a very good set, for measuring and the suspension springs and other parts. Most of the tools I found I already had, for one purpose or another in my life.
This clock is a basic mechanical piece, but it has proven to be fun. I'm assembling it now. I had to change the main spring and of course the suspension spring. The pivots were in great shape along with the gears. The challenge was finding some of the parts, the correct bezel for the face and the correct base. I've cleaned the movement and I'm going to sit down and put it all together set the beat and see what happens. When it is finished I will post a photo here.
I really love this site. There is so much information in here and so many links. I have already repaired a few clocks and watches. You are right; after the first one started running correctly I was hooked. Makes me wonder why I didn’t do this sooner.
I don’t mean to sound as if I am belittling Horology as a simple thing. It’s that I find it easy to understand with my back ground and love for time pieces. I’m sure in the years ahead I will be posting several, Help! questions.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
That's great Stephen! Many people don't know about the book or how helpful it is with this particular type of clock. You are way ahead of the game, With your background you will realy enjoy this hobby. Welcome to the site,and I look forward to your posts.

Tom

posted
My little project is complete. I finally found a base and the rest is history. I need a spring guard, but other than that she is working beautifully.

My little clock is grown up

posted
a little closer

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Can you do the same for my 110 year old? It runs +/- 10 min a day, but it sure doesn't shine like yours. Seriously you did a beautiful job, especially if this is your "first".

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Great job Stephen!!!! What is your next project??

Tom

posted
David this is my first 400 day clock. It was fun to do. If that other thing, you know, work, job etc had not gotten in the way it would have been done sooner. This one is running a bit fast, I need to give it a few days to settle in, and then set the beat again. Oh, nice clock. Thank you

posted
I have another one of these and several watches to repair ( replace the battery and clean) The next one is below.

Next One

posted
The next one above and here

posted
Next one again

posted
This one was actually the first clock I repaired. It's a 31 day clock made in Korea. I have not been able to find out much about it. I know it was made in the 60's but other than that, I don't know. I cleaned and oiled it, works great. It is very loud, nearly scarred my wife to death when she heard it. She didn’t know I had gotten to work, she was all alone in my office, it went off and scarred her proper!

posted
closer

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Nothing like the feeling of getting one of these things running. It looks like you have a good line of projects ahead. Keep us posted.

David, nice disc pendulum model!

Tom