Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Junghans Balance adjustment help needed (1) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Moses Gingerich
posted
I feel quite comfrtable with the pendulum escapements, but here I have a Junghans carriage restoration project for a client. I'm having problems on exactly how to set it to get the proper running and speed adjusting capabilities on this spring. I have not pinched the adjustment "leg" tight on the spring as of yet.
I feel confident that the end of the spring needs securing to properly align it perfectly. But then exactly do I set up the speed adjustment?
Any thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 143 | Location: Waxhaw, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
This is a photo, next one to follow.

Moses Gingerich

Junghans Hairspring

IHC Life Member
posted
Second shot of the hairspring.

Moses Gingerich

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Moses,
I am not an expert on these. I am sure there are others here who could be of help. Those coily things are second nature to some of our watch people. You might want to post a query there as well.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
'Coily things'? Eek I LOVE it when Tom talks 'technical'! Big Grin Wink

High regard! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 43
posted
Moses, I am also no expert on those "coily" things, but rate is set close by pinning the end and fine adjustment is with the adjustment leg which should not be pinned tight on the hairspring. Make sure that the hairspring is running in a straight plane and that the coils do not touch. I am sure that someone else will show up and make this more understandable

Curly

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Moses,
I am not familiar with this particular clock,but for some basics,with no power on the train make sure the impulse pin is centered in the slot of the fork.If not, move the collet on the staff.
The hairspring should be pinned tightly in the bridge and loose in the regulator.If the hairspring pin has been removed,look for a spot where it was originally pinned.There is probably a short straight spot in the spring.The spring should "breathe" in the regulator pins.Closing the egulator will speed the clock up and opening the pins will slow it down.
The balance should have ample shake in the cup screws.The balance pivots should be ground to a sharp point and polished.
I'm sure others will have other things to add to this.
Good luck.
Julian Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I KNEW IT!! Coily things are not a mystery to everyone!
Big Grin

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks so much for the expert comments on the coily things! I knew someone would understand me.
I followed Sir Tom's advice and the spring seems to have a good shape now, and it started functioning quite well until the big coily thing stopped supplying power...see now, how do we wind it???!!
And it keeps time with a few small adjustments of the regulator. I thought the reglator needed to allow the spring to "breathe"...and it does.
I believe I'll go back and polish the pivots per Sir Julian's specs. I discovered the alarm brake just won't function properly so I'll have to disassemble it again anyway.
Thanks so much. You are the greatest...
Moses Gingerich
from the Jungles of Waxhaw

posted
I've been to Waxhaw.I've been twice.The first time I went, there were 26 buildings in town.Of those 26 there were 23 that were antique shops.I did find a Rolex spoon that I bought.I stopped at a clock shop on the way back to Charlotte but I didn't buy anything.
Sir Julian
Where is my crown?

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
On your Rolex! Big Grin

Tom

IHC Life Member
posted
Hey, our little tiny Waxhaw is widely know for it's antiques. But as time goes on there are changes happening. The Clock shop in town is still there and thriving. But some new houses are budding everywhere.
Thanks so much. I'm almost done with this Carrige clock. I'll post a finished photo. It came to me via a lady that said she remembers it in her grandfathers home in the Netherlands as a kid. Now she will soon see and hear it again! That's the real fun of this work.
God Bless all of you,
Moses